Possibly a stupid question

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, August 29, 2012, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

If I hooked up a power inverter to a hefty and fully-charged 12v battery, then plugged in a 240V battery charger to the inverter to trickle charge the 12V battery, what would happen?  Free power, or disrupt the space-time continuum? 

I thought it prudent to ask better minds than mine before I try it myself.

Darryl

The same thing that would happen if you put a water-wheel at the end of a dam, and used it to drive a pump that pumped the water that had just flowed out over the wheel back up into the dam (except you won't get as wet, and your approach lacks rustic charm and Heath Robinson-esq mechanical contraption amusement value of the water-wheel). The dam / battery will end up empty due to less than 100% efficient power conversion devices.

Brad M

Ditto..

Drain the battery.
Energy would get lost through heat loss and inefficiency of the inverter and charger.
That's the best my little mind could come up with.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Beatle

The Law of Conservation of Energy:

Basically states "that energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another, such as when electrical energy is changed into heat energy. From a mathematical point of view, the energy conservation law is a consequence of the shift symmetry of time; energy conservation is implied by the empirical fact that nothing depends on time itself."

Simple;)

And you shouldn't be drinking so much on a school night.......................... :P
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

alfagtv58

Sheldon, you shouldn't let these blokes logic get in the way of innovation.  I say try it, it's what Newton would have done.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

AikenDrum105

Yep - rift in space-time.   I did it myself the other day when I swapped the active and neutral on the microwave to freeze stuff with it. 
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

kartone

works better in the northern hemisphere due to the right coriolis effect
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: alfagtv58 on August 29, 2012, 10:13:47 PM
Sheldon, you shouldn't let these blokes logic get in the way of innovation.  I say try it, it's what Newton would have done.

I'll show them, logic never stopped me before.   >:( >:(

Davidm1600

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on August 30, 2012, 11:50:07 AM

Yep - rift in space-time.   I did it myself the other day when I swapped the active and neutral on the microwave to freeze stuff with it. 

heh heh, bugger I thought of that idea years ago as well, should have patented it.  I also thought that dehydrated beer would be great, ideal for all those bushwalking trips in hot summers !! Just add water.  Mind you Sheldon's idea, possibly might just work. I wonder what Einstien might thing think of it, with all the concepts around not being able to destroy energy and/or matter.  Physics though was never my strong point.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Davidm1750 on August 30, 2012, 04:45:10 PM
I also thought that dehydrated beer would be great, ideal for all those bushwalking trips in hot summers !! Just add water. 

It's on the way!!  http://patsbcb.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/77-uptodate.html

I originally thought it was gonna be great for the shitbox rally (would save us about 80kg of weight), but you can't always trust the water out there....

Beatle

I've used dehydrated coolant before....with limited success.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Stuart Thomson

While you're at it I have some dehydrated water for you as well.  It's cheap, I'll sell it to you for only $1/liter.

Sheldon McIntosh

I forgot to post the results of my experiment, they may not surprise you.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how long the battery lasted.

Pics taken at year zero, then 22 hours, then 24 hours.  At 12.05v the battery may well have still started a small car, but of course there was nothing plugged into the inverter during the experiment, so it basically proves that it's a pointless exercise.

I'll think of ways to ramp-up the experiment.  I hear that putting your battery on a smouldering fire can give it more life?  Maybe I'll try that next.