Montreal - gauging interest

Started by thelongroad, November 30, 2007, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelongroad

Hello everyone,

I'm an Aussie living overseas, with a passion for French and Italian cars.  I've been considering buying myself something very rare to drive for a while here, and bring back with me to Australia as a private import.  It would be great to put another beautiful and rare car on Australian roads and hopefully even sell it for a modest profit.

I know of a Montreal which is allegedly in excellent condition, though I can't vouch for the car myself, since I haven't seen it personally.  I'm just curious as to the market value of a Montreal in Australia - from a scrappy one right through to an excellent one.

And since it's an Italian car, I thought it's possible some might be able to speculate on the value of a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo?

I haven't been able to find much in the way of previous sales for either of these types of cars, so any help you can give would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

AndrewO

Hi,

Nice idea but I'd be sure you did your research on shipping back home with the duty and GST and customs charges and.........  I think if you have it for more than 12 months it becomes cheaper, but look into it.

No idea on the fiat.

Only know the Montreal from my own curiosity so hopefully someone else can give a better idea.

A ratty one that will cost more in repairs than its worth will probably be anywhere from about $15,000
Toss a coin if you're feeling lucky in the range of $20,000 to mid-high 20's
Good cars seem to go for around the $30,000 mark
I've seen them advertised for up to $35,000 but not much more, no idea what the real sale price is.
I would imagine that top of the line cars would sell privately for considerably more, but these would go to knowledgeable collectors and not punters on eBay.

Look at the total cost of renting a tiny new boring car over there and the deal might look better so you can justify having some fun even if you don't make wads of cash. 
Andrew

AndrewO

Hey,

I just did a quick check on drive.com.au and this is what they say for a '75

Your Search: ALFA ROMEO MONTREAL    1975     
ALFA ROMEO  MONTREAL   
2D COUPE, 1975, 2.6 lt, 5 SP MANUAL
Average km's travelled
Price when new $15817
View Car Specifications  Estimated Valuations:
$18000-22000 private sale
$14600-20000 trade in value
$26700-32040 dealer price 

Doug Gould

Redbook / Glass guide is no good for low volume cars. For the sort of car you actually want to own the prices are really about AUD$30k to AUD$45k. In Europe they go for equivalent prices. I think there is a blue one on ebay at the moment and there's another 1 or 2 that are being discussed as for sale on the Montreal forum. There were only around 140 RHD versions made out of about 3,000 cars.

Doug Gould
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Scott Farquharson

Doug, do you know if there are any ratty ones for sale atm?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

thelongroad

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on December 01, 2007, 09:33:16 PM
Doug, do you know if there are any ratty ones for sale atm?

Hi again guys,

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated!  I will be here longer than a year, so a private import back to Australia is possible, if I decide to go down that route.  Thanks again!