Electric Water Pumps

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, September 11, 2012, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Anyone have any experience with them?  Especially interested in V6 experience, but anything will do. 

And does anyone know how much a V6 water pump flows?  I see that one of the commonly available electrics pumps does 80l/min, I'm assuming this would be enough for a 3-litre 12v? (the manufacturer claims it is for NA cars up to 3 litres).

Duk

I can't offer much info, but did trip over this http://www.serpentautosport.com/HTML/Cust_Elec_Waterpump.html from http://www.serpentautosport.com/.

1 thing you may seriously want to consider is the currant draw on your electrical system, especially if you still have an older alternator that struggles with delivering sufficient power when the engine is idling.
If your electric water pump sucks 7 or 8 amps when running, it will do that all the time. It will also highlight low currant capacity from an idling alternator trying to keep up with existing electrical loads. Say sitting in traffic on a hot night, radiator fan, headlights, tail lights, brake lights interior fan, A/C clutch, fuel pump. An easy 50-80 amps of currant draw.

A good alternator that is correctly geared, should be able to deliver about 2/3s of its rated currant capacity at idle.

Steve S

The electric pumps have a control box that vary the flow with temperature so they should not be drawing full current all the time. All the installs I have seen have been an excellent addition, It's a great idea.

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks guys.  Steve S, I'd seen the control box, and would make a lot of sense on a road car, but makes it an expensive proposition.  I was looking at the EWP only as it's not much more expensive than a standard one.  The EWP with controller makes it a far more expensive proposition.  I was thinking about doing this as a constantly pumping system, so the controller would be obsolete anyway.

Duk.  I was thinking about doing this on a track car I'll be building over summer.  The car will only have fuel pump, ignition, and brake lights (and anything else I've forgotten).  I'll also be looking at getting a light-weight alternator, probably max 30amps (although saying that, I'm also thinking about a fuel-cell with double pumps, so maybe 50A would be better).  But I thought I'd try to get any info anyone had, in case I thought it seemed like a good idea on a road-car also.... And thanks for the link.

Steve S

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on September 11, 2012, 06:59:51 PM
Thanks guys.  Steve S, I'd seen the control box, and would make a lot of sense on a road car, but makes it an expensive proposition.  I was looking at the EWP only as it's not much more expensive than a standard one.  The EWP with controller makes it a far more expensive proposition.  I was thinking about doing this as a constantly pumping system, so the controller would be obsolete anyway.

For a track car that would be OK, actually good IMO. But I would run it with a thermostat or it will be very difficult to regulate the temperature.

Neil Choi

You will need to use a controller to control the flow otherwise you will not get sufficient cooling of the water through the radiator.  Davies Craig is the other EWP which is well encountered.

jimnielsen

I've used these electric water pumps on two race cars. No controller, no thermostat. No problems.....
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Neil Choi

I figured you will pop up at some stage, Jim.

Steve S

Quote from: jimnielsen on September 11, 2012, 09:14:28 PM
I've used these electric water pumps on two race cars. No controller, no thermostat. No problems.....

How do you stop it running too cold?

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

The new BMW Mini's have these fitted as standard, [electric water pumps], is that correct?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Old Golf,s Mk3 VR6 used an electric WP as well as the mechanical one.