Steel wheels with flogged stud holes

Started by mickl, September 28, 2012, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickl

I have some steel wheels with stud holes which have grown in size since new. Wheel nuts will still hold them on OK but I am thinking they would be much safer if they could be repaired somehow to bring the hole back to the size of the stud.
Is that possible and if so who is able to do it?
Alternatively, some wheel nuts with larger tapered washers or something might hold the wheels on more securely. Are they available?
Cheers
Mickl

colcol

How does the tapered parts on the stud holes look?, the taper holds the nut by friction, to stop it loosening off, the spigot in the centre locates the wheel, if its a good fit on the spigot, and the taper on the rim where the nuts do up are not out of round, and the nuts are not bottoming out on the wheel hub, then the  size where the studs go through shouldn't matter, a bit of prussion blue on the nuts, to see if they are doing up on the taper, should be worth a try, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

mickl

Thanks for the advice, Col. I`ll mount the wheels on the hubs and check out the fit alot more closely.
Mickl