How to fit ski racks on a 156

Started by Bellbird, November 29, 2012, 05:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellbird

OK, got some ski racks but now the question is, how do I secure them on the car???   ::)

There is a little button (someone called it a nipple and that description is accurate) under the rubber door deals made especially for these Thule racks and it seems that they just go over the little but how do they FASTEN so that they don't fall off?  Col Col any ideas?

Neil Choi

There should be a L shaped bracket for each foot, the long end of the bracket has a hole which fits over and locks in the nipple.  The short end of the bracket then fits into the rack/foot and a screw is bolted down through the foot onto the bracket which has a captivated nut.  At least this is the set up I have.

I can take a picture tomorrow morning if you don't follow, can't remember what brand my rack is, Rola or Thules.

Also with regards to the rack, one will be for the front, the other for the back, as they might be or are different width.

Neil

Neil Choi

Picture of the bracket.

Cool Jesus

Hang on, ski racks? Is there still snow falling somewhere in OZ  :P
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Davidm1600

My thinking too Cool J, I believe it was 39 in Melbourne yesterday, down here in Hobart it is a balmy (read horrid) 32 C.  Now give me the snow and cold weather and I will be a happy chappy. 

I suppose one could think of this as forward planning, a bit like buying firewood in Summer  ;D !!
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Bellbird

Yes it IS forward planning and wishful thinking!  Bloody hot in "Sinny" today too!  Buying firewood in summer......well just off loaded a whole STACK of it for bushfire protection measures.  That's my idea of forward planning! ;D ;D ;D

BTW thanks for the advice Neil.

There should be a L shaped bracket for each foot, the long end of the bracket has a hole which fits over and locks in the nipple.  (got this bit)  The short end of the bracket (don't think I have this bit) then fits into the rack/foot and a screw is bolted down through the foot onto the bracket which has a captivated nut.[/i]  Don't think I have the L shaped bracket or the screw to bolt down with the captivated nut.  Hmmmm....  Can you send me another pic of this set up.

colcol

You know you have a ski port in the middle of the back seat, i didn't know what they were for, but are handy for carrying long timber and agriculture pipe from Bunnings, someone explained to me that Europeans love to ski and the Italians will spend 10 minutes driving next door to Switzerland for a few hours skiing, therefor the ski port, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]