I dream of owning a 105!

Started by BundySean, October 09, 2012, 06:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BundySean

Hi all Alfisti,
I am a prospective owner and I would like to tap into the resource that is AROCA.
I have been without a classic car for the past ten years as I have worked through my motorcycle phase. I love bikes but I have been bitten by the classic car bug once again.
The car that has attracted me the most is the Alfa 105 series. Please be tolerant of my limited nomenclature knowledge (this would be my first Alfa!) but I mean the 1750, 2000 GTV coupes. I think these have all the features that attract me to a car. Excellent styling, advanced (for the time) design, fantastic twin cam alloy engines, competent suspension, lovely interiors.. the list goes on.
So, the intent of my post is firstly to say hi! Secondly I was wondering if there may be an owner of a 105 coupe type car somewhere near Bundaberg who might be willing to show their car off. I think I would need have a sit in one as I am on the lanky side to see if I fitted!
So please keep me in mind if you know of a good example of the 105 on the market, and please, if you live within a couple of hours of Bundy send me a pm if you would be happy to show me your car.
Thanks all. Sean

MD

Sean,

Welcome to the Forum. Mate, you sound like the perfect guy that should own Alfa and I have no doubt that somebody will accommodate you soon enough. A classic Alfa in the right hands is another one saved. Best wishes in your quest.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

BundySean

Hi and thanks MD.

I have already had an offer to crawl through a shed with 105's and some Fiats. Sounds like a good way to spend a few hours!

I just have to work out which type of 105 car suits my needs best.

Cheers

Sean

Craig_m67

Quote from: BundySean on October 10, 2012, 08:45:21 PM

I just have to work out which type of 105 car suits my needs best.

That's easy... The one with the best documented rust repairs or original sound sills. Regardless of how shiny the paint, they all cost similar amounts of money to repair if the worm was never checked  :)

Good luck
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

BundySean

Hmm... rust has been an often mentioned word in connection to my 105 research.

I was hoping that Australia's climate may have been kinder than that of Europe and it would be easy to find a rust free 105!

Still all cars from the period rusted, I'll just have to be very careful when checking out the sills, door, window frames, wheel arches............. :)

Sean

Davidm1600

Sean a simple fact, yes our climate is generally better but in truth perhaps not so different.  The real difference is that we dont salt our roads, they do over there to deal with ice. Here they use gravel dust. 

But yes, 105 Alfas rust, but ditto pretty much all cars from this period.  It is only in relatively more recent times that as a rule they don't because of two things, panel preparation (ie. zinc coated) and far better paint protection in cavities etc.  In the old days, you were lucky if there was a layer of undercoat.  Many times nothing was used, given the construction techniques etc of course cars rusted.  A good friend who used to be in trade, his family had the Fiat distributorship here in Hobart, said to me, that back then such cars were not expected to last. Hence, no need to spend money in the factory painting them in places which one doesn't normally see.

Now as to rust, where to look, with 105 GTVs it is quite simple, everywhere. However working from rear to front, and also look for signs of panel damage/repairs.  Many a 105 has been hit in the rear. Look inside the boot, especially around the fuel tank lip and spare wheel well. Also check the gutter around where the boot lid sits.  Check the outer edge of the bootlid and also under the lip.  From there, look at the rear side panel below the bumper bar, check the rear wheel arch, also look at the side rear window lip especially near the bottom of the C piller (where the badge is on some models), next look at the rear cill section the middle section and especially the front section where it wraps under from the sides of the front guards.  Check the doors, all the way along underneath, on the bottom of the door, under the door handles.  Open the doors and look inside around the base of the B piller, also check around the A piller.  Doors can sag, due to wear in the hinges. This can be fixed by an insert.  Check under the carpets as floors rot, all areas.  So also look under the car.  Also check around both the front and rear windscreens.  They can rust in this area, under the rubber seal.

Lastly check the front guards/front valance panel.  Look for cracks around the front suspension towers.  Also inside the engine bay look around where the battery is located, also check for rust/damage around the front sway bar mounts (effectively in front of but under the radiator.

And that is the usual places.  I have seen extreme examples where rust pops out elsewhere.

Hope that doesn't scare you, as many cars won't have such rust.  However, poor condition cars will, and some less than scrupulous owners have in the past covered up such sins with bog and nice paint.   

A well restored GTV is a thing of beauty.  You only have to look at such cars on the Alfaholics website, let alone here and on the BB under the photos of GTV threads to see what I mean.  Ditto there are plenty of restoration threads on both this forum and BB which show what I have mentioned above. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

BundySean

Thanks David for such an informative post.

I am quite realistic when it comes to cars of the 60's and 70's when it comes to rust. At least in rust protection the modern vehicle is superior to the classics!

I am going to try to see as many coupes as I can in the next few months to build up my abilty to judge each correctly. I have purchsed Kieth Booker's "The essential buyer's guide" to the AR Giulia Coupe in an effort to build up my knowledge.

One snippet of info I have gleamed thus far is that a sound body is the first priority. Body work and rust removal seems more costly to correct than mechanical issues.

The rust issue certainly hasn't put me off, the fact that the 105's tick just about every box in my "classic car" wish list has assured that, chief amoung those was a stylish body!

Thanks again for your very helpfu post.

Sean

Davidm1600

God man, as as I say there are good ones out there, the secret is to look and try some out. I have been driving 105s for many years , they are heaps of fun. I miss driving my GTV, it's laid up as rust was starting to become a problem. The 156 is lovely but it's not a classic like my 105s. There are plenty of good books re them, I have many but nothing seeing them and driving them, all the best in finding yours
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

BundySean

Thanks for all your help thus far David!

I am gaining knowledge quickly. Even got to look at some cars today.

I think I might have an 105 for Christmas......  :)

JORY

Hi Sean. I do know of a 105 GTV  that is rust free on the Gold Coast and could be for sale before xmas. It however would not be cheap. PM me if you need to know more. Cheers Jory.

Kiwiboy105

G'day Sean.  The 105s are great cars as these guys have been saying.  I'm onto my second one - a 2000GTV which has a good history and is a beaut to drive.  My first was full of rust, floor pan, sills, the usual places but mechanically sweet!  We looked here in Qld for one then at a few in Vicotira which is where this little blue is from.  You do need patience but it will be worth it.  All the best with the hunt. :)
"You are not a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa" - J Clarkson

BundySean

Thanks for the info and best wishes!

I have a number of cars in my cross hairs, all are a little far afield so I will have to wait until work winds down a little! Is is ironic that work gets in the way of buying my 105 but also funds its purchase.

I am now just toying with the idea of juniors vs "non-junior" and step nose vs smooth nose... who would have thought it would have been that difficult??

Still, lots of fun deciding/dreaming!!!

Ads

You've probably sat in heaps by now, but to answer your question on if you fit, I'm 6 foot 2 or so, and fitted into my smooth nose 1600 junior easily in terms of headroom, even with a helmet on. The splayed-knee driving style and offset pedals are more challenging, but you can fit a spacer to bring the steering wheel out further, and can always go to a smaller diameter wheel too. Doing those two things made me far more comfortable.

Good luck with your search.
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

BundySean

Thanks Ads,

I do think I fit, although having long arms helps, now I just need to find a way to fold up the legs!!!

I have narrowed down my search (for now) to the step nose cars. I think I like the "look" of these, so for now that's what I'm looking for.

So.... does anyone have a good "driver" step nose out there?

That said, a nice early 1750 might fit the bill too!

Sean