I dream of owning a 105!

Started by BundySean, October 09, 2012, 06:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaStregaNera

If you're tall (I'm 6'2" too), the most comfortable position I've found is to pull the seat forward and rest my forearms against my thighs with my hands at 4:30 and 7:30 on the wheel. Doesn't gel for most people that have been taught the both hands on the wheel at 2 & 10, but is a very relaxed position that offers full control at pace.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

BundySean

I will have to give that a try..... now I just have to find the car!

So feelers out everyone.....

Where is my new (old) alfa hiding??

Sean

Davidm1600

I am afraid but as a 6'1 guy I do the opposite, and put the seat as far as back as I can arms resting at quarter to 3. Legs have plenty of room, and alls good. As a tall person having the seat forward makes no sense to me and also at odds with the driver training I did with John Bowe Driving, just my 2 cents worth.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Neil Choi

Quote from: LaStregaNera on December 02, 2012, 08:38:31 AM
If you're tall (I'm 6'2" too), the most comfortable position I've found is to pull the seat forward and rest my forearms against my thighs with my hands at 4:30 and 7:30 on the wheel. Doesn't gel for most people that have been taught the both hands on the wheel at 2 & 10, but is a very relaxed position that offers full control at pace.

Something like this?

BundySean

Ahhhh Bob...aka Mr. Incredible. Great movie!

For a moment I thought he might have been driving a stylised "super" but I don't think so!

I am content with the basic ergonomics, although I think I will be taking plenty of stretching breaks on a long trip.

Sean

aggie57

Quote from: Neil Choi on December 05, 2012, 10:42:46 PM
Quote from: LaStregaNera on December 02, 2012, 08:38:31 AM

Something like this?

Looks like you Neil at the end of every event...after the car breaks yet again.... ;D
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

MD

I could just tell that this topic was heading for some good natured jokes. I have to applaud the Forum for blending some humour into our combined passion of all things Alfa. It adds just one more facet to the enjoyment of being part of this band of unique fruitcakes.

Personally, I am seeing the emergence of a revival 105 production for basketballers. It will be called the Bertone Lungo. Not only will it come with a half a meter increase in wheelbase but the turret will have an observation window bubble for a 360* view headroom.

For the purist diehards who insist on the original is best model, they  are being catered for by a new development in Italian pharmacology. They are marketing the incredible shrink pill. The dosage is height dependant. Why change the car when you can shorten your legs is the motto.

So BundySean your height is no longer an excuse. We all want to see that photo of your 105 on mums driveway pronto. Just be sure you make room for a Giulia Super when the kids come along so you have the whole 105 package.
;D ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

aggie57

Bundy - I am 6' 3" and have driven many 105's over the years, including using a couple as everyday cars and track cars in the 80's.  Now of course I am a little larger (but not taller.... :() but what I will offer as comment is that for whatever reason how well I fit varies from car to car.  I can't say I have bothered to look into why but some cars I just struggle to get comfortable but in others its no problem at all.

So, my advice would be to try the actual car for size and not assume they are all the same.  Its probably just seat mounting or steering wheel choice I guess so probably easy to fix. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Davidm1600

MD as ever mate if there is one of us who takes the cake for the most illuminating point in humour, I suspect you probably get the gong.  I love the idea re a turret for the basketballer driver of a 105 Lungo coupe !!   ;D  Man that car would be so  8). In a sense kind of like a version of the Abarth double bubble, except this would be a single bubble.

I do hope that Sean takes note, that when the anklebiters come along though a Super or even a Berlina will fit the bill nicely, and given they will be in the rear, does that mean they will need the tail gun turret off the rear of the boot.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

BundySean

I must have given you guys a bum steer when it came to my age somewhere along the line....

I'm the wrong side or forty, and my two daughters, 15 and 13 are both over 5 foot 9 and still growing.!!!

I would hate to see the styling of an Alfa coupe to fit my family!!  It might turn out something like the "Homer," double bubble included. :o

If you don't know "The Homer" just google it. (I don't think I attached the pic properly) It is truely "molto orribile."

Sean

Beatle

While I can't comment directly on the 105 coupe ergos, 'cause I've never owned one, for older Alfas in general I've found the three easiest and most successful mods to improve the life of a taller driver are:
1.   Tilt the seat squab up at the front by either adding spacers under the front of the rails (ensuring the bolts remain in safety) or removing any spacers under the rear.  If that is in fact possible on the 105 coupe seats?
2.   Get the steering wheel closer to the body using an aftermarket hub (one whole inch makes a huuuuge difference, but makes the controls a stretch for the fingers).
3.  Bend the throttle pedal (get a spare to work with).  I've cut a few and welded the cut ends into a section of pipe.  Use spot welds rather than a curcumferential weld to reduce the change of the pedal snapping off.................
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

BundySean

Merry Christmas to all....... but there still isn't a 105 coupe under my tree.

So if anyone has a good, sound drivers car, preferably a step nose, that they would like to sell to a good home, please let me know.

I have sold my motorcyle  :'(  (Kawasaki ZX14) and a need to replace it, as there is a really blank space in the garage.

Sean

pancho

Like a good woman , good stepnoses are hard to find.

One will come along.

Nows the time to save save save. And prepare the garage!

Good luck and Merry Xmas!

BundySean

Thanks pancho!

I know patience is the name of the game when it comes to finding just the right car. Previously I have purchased a classic that was just about what I was chasing, but not quite. I always felt that little bit underwhelmed when driving and kinder wished I had waited for the model and spec list I really wanted. Lesson learnt here and this mistake is not to be repeated.

So the search goes on!

Perhaps I be driving in the country and see a step nose peeking out from under a tarp, no rust and an unappreciative owner!

Dream on...

Sean

Beatle

Quote from: BundySean on December 26, 2012, 10:35:11 AM

Perhaps I be driving in the country and see a step nose peeking out from under a tarp, no rust and an unappreciative owner!

Dream on...

Sean

Sean, you have a better chance of stumbling across a winning lotto ticket being blown around in the wind.  But then you can buy two rusty stepnoses.  Restore one to concourse, and the other for the track.....   ;)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd