Top 10 undervalued investment cars

Started by massiveluvbuddy67, September 27, 2012, 06:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massiveluvbuddy67

An article from the USA preminant investment house.
Interesting that 2 Alfas make the top 10.
(I have always had a weakness for the Interceptor too).

http://www.hagerty.com/Classic-car-articles-resources/HowTo/Buying-and-Selling/All-articles/2012/06/26/Reasonable-Cars

Davidm1600

Hi Phil, some nice cars on the list bit also IMHO a lot of US dross. If I were to mcke such a list I would include the Fiat Dino, especially the coupe, Ferrari 400i, 308 gt4 Dino, Lancia Delta integrale, Porsche 944 turbo or S2, X1/9, Alfa 2600 coupe and Fiat 2300s coupe (the last of the 1960s GTs outside of the exotics, possibly gtv6, and fiat 130 coupe. There are probably a few others that could be added to such a list, but would need to give this some thought. Personally I would delete the Espirit, and especially the turbo, a mate had one, it was a complete lemon.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Ads

It's certainly an interesting list, especially the American cars chosen. XR7 is a reasonable bet for the American market but I can't see the Corvair ever becoming 'investment' grade in the US market.

Montreal and 930 are the two most undervalued in a global sense IMO, and perhaps David's reference to the Esprit explains why collectors never rate the Esprit (that and the lack of any more than four cylinders).

Maseratis up to the Khamsin are always a bargain when compared to Lamborghini and Ferrari contemporaries. Then again, Ghibli Spider prices have risen sharply of late.

Perhaps more accessible, Jag Mk2 3.8 manuals are to me another good buy- they don't seem to have the momentum behind them from an investment perspective.

Fiat Dino coupe is a good spot David (Spyder is getting expennsive), and integrales are already appreciating if in good nick. Same for BMW 2002s.

Interesting thread!
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

Davidm1600

Yep good point re both such Masers and the jag mk 2. Mind you I recall all too well re being able to get such Jags back in the '80s for less than $5k. Mind you a mate of my dads bought back in the mid '70s an Aston DB4 for $3k, he later on sold it for $5k. Wonder what it us worth now.It is a strange mArket currently, afterall who would have thought that someone (ie Classic Throttle shop in Sydney) would try asking $70k for a 1300 gt junior flushnose. Sure it has a worked 2L with alfaholics gear and immaculate body/interior. Anything is possible I suspect.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pancho

If a mint stepnose Sprint GT can't acheive 50k then that red car will be at CTS for some time.

Davidm1600

That is kind of my thinking too Pancho, possibly the classic line from The Castle might be appropriate !! Good luck to them if they can get the $$$. 

Mind you, over in the UK, they are asking some pretty high prices for GTA stepnose clones etc, so who knows, maybe things are on the up for our 105s. 

I actually don't think I want to see them go that way, as they are a car for the enthusiast, which is, essentially still affordable.  To me that is a desirable thing.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Ads

It is a strange market indeed. The old adage of 'it's worth only what someone is prepared to pay' certainly rings true.

There are many stories like the examples you share re DB-series Aston Martins, GT Falcons etc. 'Ones that got away' so to speak. But I'll bet there will be the same stories in another 50 years jumping up from the prices we see today.

CTS is an interesting case. They tend to reach for the sky with their prices, and it can inflate private seller's expectations which isn't good for buyers in the general market. Of course, in NSW they are able to consign sell, so these prices need to keep consignees happy. It has to be said that they secure some high quality stuff. Whether or not they sell for their advertised price too often is another matter; I'm not sure they can if I am honest.
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

Steve S

Classic value has little to do with how good a car is technically, it's all about how well it presents socially and how it is percieved. Its no fluke that a lot of desirable and expensive classic cars were not expensive when new.

ANG156

Steve this is true. Thats probably why the 2600 is not worth as much as the e-type jag today even though in the sixties it was the other way round. The 2600 was also much more advanced than the
e-type.

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: ANG156 on October 19, 2012, 04:52:03 PM
The 2600 was also much more advanced than the e-type.

How do you figure that?  The E-Type had a twin-cam engine, disc-brakes all round and inboard at the rear (the 2600 was introduced with rear drums), it had superior rack and pinion steering, and an independent rear suspension design.  About the only advancement the Alfa had over the E-Type was an extra gear.

massiveluvbuddy67

As much as I love the 2600, Sheldon is on the money. Thye 2600 did have electric windows as standard though.  :D

hmd

Don't know much about the Alfa. But to me the Porsche 930 is well valued here in Aus good example starting at high 60K.
Probably the two best undervalued Porsche would be a 1989-1990 944 Turbo S (250bhp) and a 968 ClubSport.