2013 Alfa Romeo CXOVER

Started by colcol, October 27, 2012, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

From the AGE, If you can't beat, em, join em, Alfa Romeo, the Italian brand synonomous with sporty sedans and sexy coupes, is joining the SUV crowd. A picture snapped in Southern Europe shows a development mule based on a Guilietta hatchback and is the best look yet at what the Fiat controlled brand has in store. Although no secret, having been confirmed as part of Fiat's group 5 year plan for all its brands during its takeover of Chrysler, these shots indicate that the car remains on track for a late 2013 unveilling, despite the economic crisis engulfing Europe. Tipped to be called CXover, a codename for the 2003 Kamal SUV concept, it will be pitched against the likes of the VW Tiguan and Ford Kuga, as well as the premium BMW X1 and Audi Q3. It is being developed on a raised version of the Guillietta underpinnings, known as 'compact wide' inside Fiat, the same underpinnings will also sit underneath the overdue Giullia sedan and wagon, together with the 4C sports car, these models will spearhead Alfa's return to the lucrative US Market. The CXover is being developed alongside Jeep's replacement for the Patriot and Compass SUV, expected to be named Liberty, and could be even built in the US. But while the Liberty will focus on Jeep's traditional off road prowess, the CXover will have a sporty bias to its dynamics. There will be a choice of petrol and diesel engines, with the company's 2 litre turbo petrol engine likely to be the star. A choice of 6 speed manual or the Alfa new twin clutch transmission is likely. Styling remains the big mystery, but given Fiat's boss Sergio Marchionne's insistance that the Guilia be redesigned, delaying that car by more than a year, it is unlikely to be a conservative looking "me too" looking car. Expect the CXover to make it to Australia by 2014, Stephen Ottley, [from the AGE 27-10-2012], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MD

Col,
As anyone who truly understands the correct application of off road vehicles, the power plant needs to make heaps of torque and preferably at low revs when its working in a REAL off road application. This is best achieved with big engines and/or diesels.

Small capacity high revving buzz boxes are for the hairdresser off road fraternity.

I can't believe how many limp wristed hairdressers are out there as we speak driving this crap...

..and while I am ventilating here.
For starters. A REAL off roader needs to be the equivalent of a shitbox. For some inexplicable reason, when you put it through flooded creeks, the bramble bushes, carve up some flooring on the rocky terrain and get some ocean tidal swimming under your belt or chase down wild boar in the Hay Plains, the 100 grand luxury handbag soon starts to look like a shitbox anyway.

...and don't get me started on blocking my view. ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

Alfa Romeo are about 10 years late with these compact SUV's, [Stupid Unnecessary Vehicles], they have missed the boat by about 10 years, they should put their energy into the replacement of the 159, as all through the last 40 years they have had a 2 litre sedan, Guilia Super-Berlina-Alfetta-Guillietta-90-75-155-156-159-now nothing, [good one Fiat], imagine if BMW stopped making the 3 series for 2 years while they waited for a replacement, or there were no Commodores for 2 years because the manager said he wanted it restyled, gross stupidity on Fiat's behalf, sometimes it makes you wonder if there is a hidden agenda to turn Alfa Romeo into SAAB, as the sales figures dwindle, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]