Electrolysis???

Started by Duk, November 03, 2012, 05:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Alrighty, I've got some cooling fluid aspects of my project needing some help.
Now I know that aluminium, steel and coolant (water) flow equals electrolysis and that the only way to keep the aluminium from being eaten (short of a sacrificial anode) is to keep it electrically isolated from the steel.

What I need to know is, will (painted) mild steel be eaten by electrolysis if a stainless steel part that has coolant flowing through it, is directly bolted to it?

agent86

Hi Duk,
           Radiator and other parts are prone to electrolisis by stray electrical current, this is a fairly common problem and causes premature failure of radiators and components. If you have a decent multi meter or can borrow one you may be able to track down the cause. An auto electrician can generally track down the problem area.
Cheers
agent 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

colcol

Make sure your engine has a good earth, otherwise the currents will zap around the cooling system looking for a good earth to grab hold of, and use the right type of coolant, for motor racing you need no [slippery] glycol in the coolant, [usually it is green], with approved for Motor Sport on the label, the late model Alfa Coolants are red, [but are not approved for Motor Racing], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Duk

Cheers guys, but the radiator isn't the concern.
I want to mount a stainless steel hose mount/transition piece (it will have a barbed fitting on 1 side for the original heater hose and use an AN fitting and braided nylon hose that then goes back to the radiator) that will have coolant flowing through it, directly to the body.

Beatle

Just do it Duk!  Plenty of vehicle cooling sytems are a mixture of aluminium alloys, steels, brass/copper, etc etc and they last decades if a good and correct coolant is used, and serviced regularly.  As the others have stated, stray electrical currents are more likely to cause damage.

At least this modified item sounds as though it will be relatively visible, so you can keep an eye on it for corrosion, unlike the engine internals where steel-meets-aluminium (liner/block. waterpump, etc).

Where anything mounts to the body, I use a thicker lanoline spray or other anti-corrosion product (tectyl, fishoil, dielectric grease, wax).  The paint will help, but it's not always a reliable insulator, so something which remains flexible and 'self-healing' is the go.  Goopy products help insulate, but also exclude air.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd