Help! 75 coolant tank

Started by oz3litre, November 13, 2012, 09:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

Has anyone come up with a solution to the problem of the unavailability of decent quality, new expansion tanks for the 75? The after market ones are utter crap and have been glued together with a child's glue stick. I bought one from my Alfa parts place one week ago and it is blowing apart and leaking already. I thought a 156 one might fit, but it is too long. Is there one from another car that will fit in the original space? I desperately need a solution to this ASAP because I can't drive my car.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

alfa duk

If it is the same as early gtv6, international auto parts in US has aluminium tanks. I put these tanks on all my alfas.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

oz3litre

Quote from: alfa duk on November 14, 2012, 09:43:05 PM
If it is the same as early gtv6, international auto parts in US has aluminium tanks. I put these tanks on all my alfas.
They are different. I think the GTV6 ones are bigger and use a metal conventional type cap. Those aluminium ones are nice. I couldn't see them on the IAP site when I looked yesterday though. There is limited space to put anything other than the correct shaped one or a similar sized one on the 75. I put my old genuine one back on today and it seems to be OK so far. It wasn't seeping out from under the cap like it usually does for some reason. At least it is not blowing apart like that after market one. I might take a wander around Upullit with an old tank to see if there is another car with one that could be made to fit.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

colcol

Ah yes Alfa Romeo coolant tanks, know the problem well, being a 33 driver, we have the same problem, 28 years old, brittle plastic, go to u-pull-it or pinch-a-part, and just grab one, as you cannot buy them new, i have a double seal radiator cap on mine, not the normal single seal, like Alfa's have, CPC make it [i think!], if your reservoir cracks, you may be able to remelt the plastic with a hot soldering iron, or cut slivers of plastic off a stuffed reservoir, and use it as filler material when welding the tank with a hot soldering iron, JB WELD works quite good too, its like Araldite, except it doesn't run every where, and its good for fixing the glovebox catches on 147's & 156'sas well,  Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]