Air Conditioner Parts

Started by Duk, October 07, 2012, 09:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

Quote from: GTVeloce on November 27, 2012, 10:14:23 AM
Oz, they were some great articles! Especially 'Er12 Info' - it answered a number of my questions. I have bought a couple of cans of HyChill HR12 to fit in both my 75 and GTV (which runs a TS compressor). Both have been running R134a but I am keen to try something else. I am also keen to find a replacement condenser from a later model car (larger but thinner) that will fit. Has anyone managed to do something similar yet?
A good air conditioning guy should be able to go through his catalogues and look for a suitable condenser if one exists. You could also check with the guys on the Alfa Bulletin Board. Yanks from the hotter states use their air con. The 75 one is fine. Mine doesn't need to be any colder. As I said, I often have to back it off after a while. Alfissimo in the US sells fancy ones for the 164 which are a lot more efficient. I don't know if he has any for the GTV. I do know that there are no suitable sized ones available here for the 164, because we checked the catalogues for them.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

colcol

You can actually use LPG, Lighter Gas, Barbeque Gas as Refrigerant, as it will absorb heat under low pressure and give up heat under high pressure,..... however it will also mix with the current refrigerant and oil and hoses and moisture and form a nasty acid which will eat away your airconditioning innards and cause a blockage, just before a leak, on A Current Affair about 20 years ago, they had this story about dangerous gases used in car airconditioners and how they could blow up and catch fire, a story no family could afford to miss, but the small amount would only go up if you had an existing flame, such as fagging on in the car, as stated elsewhere i used HICHILL twice in a VL Commodore and my Alfa 33 and both times it didn't work, but good to see it worked in the 75, the specs say it should work, but didn't for me, i use 'REPLA 134' refrigerant, and it works great in the 33, not as good as R12, but thats just a distant memory, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]