Help with ecu numbers

Started by damo732, November 28, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damo732

Hi everyone,can anyone tell me if the software number 1277356477 and hardware number 0261207337 that came up on obd11 are for a Auto not a manual,I drive a manual,I think my software may been wrong,cheers

festy

That ECU hardware # matches a 147 manual AFAIK, but that software # appears in my lists as being for ECU #  0261206716 - which was used in the 156 1.6 16V and Fiat Punto 1.2 with that software #.

That doesn't automatically mean that yours is mismatched or wrong though...

damo732

Thanks for the reply,the reason i asked the question was to find out whether or not the ECU is causing my rpm issues,it won't go past 4500rpm,Changed the maf etc,its really fast upto that point,do you think the ECU could be causing it,cheers mate :-)

festy

I saw a post of yours about a DTC code indicating a missing auto gearbox.
I had a bit of a look around when I read that, and that code seems to cause a rev limit of 4500 when it's present (i.e. "limp home" mode) which is what you're seeing, so I think you're on the right track diagnosing this.
Are there any other codes present, or just the gearbox one? The ECU could quite likely have a generic limp home mode that is triggered by a number of different faults, so the gearbox code could be a red herring - but I doubt it.

What are you using to read the OBD codes? I think you were planning on getting an ELM327 style interface, what software are you using to talk to the car?
Are you able to clear the fault code? If so, does it come back immediately/after a short time?
I don't know much at all about the modern Alfa ECUs or their wiring, so can't tell you if that software # covers both auto and manual or not.
How long have you had the car? Did you buy it new? Has this fault always been present while you've had the car?
Or if it's only a recent issue, was there any changes to the car prior to this happening like installing an aftermarket radio, disconnecting the battery or jump starting, new keys being made, sensors replaced (or swapping an auto box for a manual? :D )

Any chance you have a log of the OBD session you could PM me? I might be able to verify the requests/responses against the Alfa Tester tool's sequences, to make sure your OBD program is "asking the right questions" to the ECU.
(And before you ask - no I don't have an Alfa Tester, just information on how/why/what they do)