multifunction display light warning

Started by funniest thing, December 11, 2012, 06:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funniest thing

Hi all,
Does anyone know how to reset failed globe messages on a 147 2004MY?

colcol

You have replaced the failed globe with the correct one with the same wattage, as they are very sensitive to these things, if the wattage is only half, then the computer thinks the globe is still blown, i replaced some globes with L.E.D.S. and because the power drain is so low, i got all  sorts of error messages, you could try dissconnecting the battery for half an hour, but make sure you have your radio code, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

funniest thing

thanks Colin, the wattage is the same (55w H1 fog lamp RHS) i'll try disconnecting battery in the morning.

colcol

Could be a bad earth on your globe or dirty fuse, make sure the battery earth is clean as well, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

funniest thing

:(   No good. Warning light still on. All lights, indicators and everything works but warning still on display (very annoying).

colcol

It most likely has logged a fault in the computer and will need an Alfa Romeo scanning tool to switch it off, maybe you could put up with it until you get it serviced, Colin.

Craig_m67

If you have the warning light on, you have a bulb that has either blown, or is intermittently pfaffing

I spent a good few weeks once chasing down a faulty number plate lamp (there are two).

I don't believe the the bulb warning system logged by the ECU, it's an analogue electrical system physically located in the tach (of all places).
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

funniest thing

Thanks Guys. The number plate lamps are the only ones i didn't check  ::) i'll look at them in the morn. I just did a service on it myself when i replaced the faulty globe so don't want to take it in for only this warning issue. Hopefully its just another globe i missed.

Cool Jesus

Hey funny, if you find that all is operating per normal and the fault is no longer present (Bulb changed), I think you'll find that the error message (failed globe) will stop indicating after about 6 or so complete engine start cycles (ie engine run up to normal temp with radiator fan cutting in). Even though the warning light is extinguished, there will still be an error code logged in the ECU which is out of sight for you.
How many starts have you had since replacing the light bulds?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

funniest thing

It'd be about a dozen starts by now, the 147 is our daily the other car has only two seats and can't fit the mother in law and her walker.  ;D

funniest thing

Thanks everyone, tracked it down to a broken filament in a front parker.  ::) It must have blown when i re-checked the lights after replacing the fog lamp globe.
Andrew.

colcol

I have found that 156's blow a lot of globes, i think due to the fact they have a very powerfull Alternator that keeps full volts to the globes and they are always red hot, like when you pull up at the lights, the lights don't go dim, the 33 on the otherhand, Alternator has about 50% of the charging capacity of the 156, lights dim, wipers stop when you pull up at the lights, and in 26 years of ownership, i have replaced about 3 globes.....swings and roundabouts, Colin.