Thermostat gasket

Started by martym00se72, December 14, 2012, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi Folks,
I had one of the 2 short hoses between the thermostat housing and the block at the front of the engine split on me last weekend (on the way to the club Chrissy lunch and show n shine :( - dirty engine bay even worse...). I have pulled off the thermostat housing and removed the hoses - they were the originals, hard and bulging. What size/diameter hose is that and do I need a gasket when I put the housing back on or can I use something like 'Gasket Goo'?
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

wankski

not needed.

i use permatex waterpump and thermostat silicone

http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-water-pump-thermostat-rtv-silicone-gasket-detail

you can get it for like 10 bux at supercrap or autobarn... etc

colcol

I also like to put a paper gasket in, because they usually came with one, the modern cars use an o ring, and i use hard setting loctite gasket cement, as it has a built in brush in the lid, the hard setting cement dries within a few minutes, but the soft setting cement remains soft for a long time, so it gives you a bit more time to work, the silicone has to be scraped off with a scraper, too much hard work for a bludger like me, i prefer the loctite, as it is removed with thinners, nice and easy, really depends what you have on your shelf, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]