Brake cross bar

Started by GTVeloce, January 25, 2013, 11:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I have a strange feeling on my brake pedal about half way through its range of motion. It is a small 'clunk' feeling. It doesn't seem to affect the brake operation but it has been on my to-do list for too long now. I suspect it is related to the cross bar between the pedal box and the m/c. Looking at it last night I noticed something that seemed unusual. The bronze coloured plates that hold the rubber piece are together. I would have thought they would be one on either side of the m/c mounting, no?

shiny_car

Yes, if it's like the 75, that outer plate should be bolted in position. Your bolts have no nuts, suggesting they've worked themselves loose/off.

This photo of my car - not directly of that section - you can see nuts holding the plate in position.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Neil Choi

Julian

the nuts have fallen away (13mm), I think there are three nut/bolts (correct me as I have forgotten), seems it is being held on by the third one at the back.

Neil

festy

Your plates are in the right positions, you're just missing some nuts.
The black part isn't rubber but a hard plastic that forms a sort of rose joint when sandwiched between the two triangular plates.
The brake booster/mc is actuated by an arm attatched to the short right hand section of the bar, so if the end bearing is loose then the cross bar will deflect once it starts hitting opposition from the m/c.

GTVeloce

Sorry for the confusion, I had taken the nuts off! The 'clunk' feeling is there even when the nuts are torqued up.

Festy - the bearing you refer to is on the right hand side of the bar? I don't recall any thing at that end except where the pedal mates with the bar. Or are you referring to the black plastic part? I will go and have a another look.

Initially I thought the black hard plastic part had worn and I removed the shims completely. No difference. I had a spare plastic part so I changed it over but still no difference. Could it be that I need to replace the shims but place them somewhere slightly different?

Many thanks

festy

The passenger's side end of the bar (behind the m/c) has a spherical bearing on the outside of the metal frame.
It's a 3 piece bearing - a triangular cup, a black bearing, and another triangular cup.
I don't recall any shims in there?
The two cups form the bearing race, like cupped hands around a ball.
The 3 pieces slide on to the end of the bar as a single unit and bolt up to the outside of the m/c mounting frame.

There should be one of these spherical bearings at both ends of the bar - one where the bar enters the pedal box, and this one behind the m/c.

The clunk you're feeling might be from the linkage to the m/c, or the spring binding etc. If you shine a light down behind the vac servo while someone slowly works the brakes you might spot the issue?