Alfa Romeo 4 C

Started by colcol, February 10, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

QuoteHowever, got burned many years ago with pre-ordering on an "in demand" car, and not inclined to go there again.

I'll bite - what was it?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

tjb0274

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 05, 2014, 07:51:32 PM

I'll bite - what was it?

Nothing exotic - 206GTI Pug. There was a lot of interest when they were first announced for Aus (first "hot hatch" Peugeot since the 205Gti, etc), and the dealers seemed just to keep taking orders without regard to whether they could actually get the cars. Memory has faded a bit on the details, but delivery was many months after originally promised, and they tried to palm me off with a different car to the one I'd ordered. Not alone - a bunch of prospective owners had a forum, and my story was pretty typical.

Maybe things are more organised/ethical at the pricier end of the spectrum, but I suspect that car salesmen are car salesmen when it comes to getting a signature on an order sheet (and a commission).
Current:
1970/1990 Ricciardi-Alfa (track/occasional weekend car)
2003 147 GTA (daily driver)
1969 Lotus Europa (weekend toy)
2003 Peugeot 206gti (retired daily driver)

Past:
1971 1750 GTV
More Fiat 850s than I can count

Craig_m67

Err, well, yes!  :)

That would be the absolute entirety of the job description. Design, prototype, build, distribution, training, certification, marketing any logistics.. All the manufacturers job that they (who probably work for a franchise) have no, none, nada, nix info or ability to effect.

That said it doesn't make it any less annoying and I wish they would just

I'd love a 4C.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)