Alfapride

thank you! all good advice, will do....
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Alfapride

hi all thought i'd update you on the progress of my 'pinging issue' so today i had all the cam belts, water pump and thermostat replaced, the mechanic confirmed the timing was correct and also noted that pinging was 'common' on these motors once they had done a few kms and wasn't excessive...no errors came up on the diagnostics so have been asked to 'monitor' the issue and if it get worse take it back for further analysis. i'll keep trying alternate places for fuel as well thanks for everyone's assistance.
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

colcol

I have not heard of pinging issues for the twin spark, but i don't know everything, use the best and highest octane fuel you can get, ie 98 octane with no ethenol, you may have a lot of carbon buildup on your pistons and cylinder heads, causing an unwanted increase in the compression ratio, and your injectors may be blocked, causing a lean mixture, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Ours used to ping a little depending on fuel.

I didn't think it made sense (knock sensor) but that's what it sounded like.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Try adding in a dash of good octane booster into a tank of good premium 98 and see if it solves the problem, really pinging is not good.

colcol

Pinging breaks piston rings and puts holes in pistons, it is really uncontrolled combustion, something that can ruin an engine, make sure your knock sensor is ok, i have heard that a knock sensor is not so much a knock sensor, but like a piezo that hears the predetonation noises and tells the engine computer to retard the ignition, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]