New lease on life

Started by Mr156_2.0, March 11, 2013, 04:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr156_2.0

Hi all,

You don't get to hear too many good Alfa stories so here is one.
My Alfa 156 did 302,000 km and had a crank sensor issue. The motor was not In the best condition. I have replaced the 2.0l twinspark motor with another that had done 45,000km. A new slave cylinder hose, clutch master cylinder , upper control arms and shocks later, she is like driving a new car. Now I have cosmetics to play with.

Many said that I was wasting my time but I had a thing for my car when I saw it and still do. So here she is again fresh and new to break down another day.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

Paul Gulliver

QuoteMany said that I was wasting my time but I had a thing for my car when I saw it and still do

I'm nearly ready to get out the box of tissues. That really sums up how a lot of people feel about their older Alfas. Great story . Thanks for posting.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Mr156_2.0

My dad and uncle had fiat 125s, my cousin had a 2000 berlina. They all said the same thing."shouldn't have sold that car". So I learned from their mistakes I guess.
"Alfa build cars to be the best a car can be......briefly" Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear.

colcol

I still have my 84 Alfa 33TI, almost 29 years old, had it for 27 years, service it like it was new, full rego and daily driver, doesn't make sense on paper to keep spending coin on it, but like everyone else, we like our old Alfa Romeo's, part of the family, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

It's a relief to know that one isn't alone in their obsession with this marque. Of the brand new and older cars ive owned in the past with the current stable of road going Alfas I have, by far the best drive I've ever owned is the '98 Spider. Ill never let this one go.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mr156_2.0

Once you find your car, stick with it. I could go and buy something else that looks better on paper but I just wouldn't be happy. Also when I need to relax there is nothing better then going for a drive. Hit a country road with a bit of mood music and let nature take its course.

colcol

Even better, is you and your car going on a cruise with the Alfa Club through a good section of road, then some talk over coffee on why you like your car so much, and you would prefer to get up early on a Sunday morning and go for a drive, rather than sleep in, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mr156_2.0

Yep I am a member of the aroca nsw and I missed a cruise because of my clutch master cylinder. 1st one of the year. Have to wait a little now for the next.

Beatle

Precisely why Alfas should only have 5-didgit odometers.   By the time she's been around the clock a few times, total milage is irrelevent.  It's current condition and the amount of love lavished on it which counts.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

poohbah

Great stuff to hear,

When I got my 156 back from its latest trip to the doc - the 4th trip in 9 months (busted bottom rad inlet, 6 month service and new CV boot), the missus looked at the bill and said to me "so is that going to be the last one (bill) for a while?".

I just said yes - I didn't have the heart to tell her the aircon still needs fixing and the teledials will need re-rolling at some point ...

But I figure I'm still miles in front, seeing as I only spent $7k to buy it in the first place.

I've probably spent another $3-4k on it since then, but I still reckon that's nothing to own one of the last great Arese V6s.

Sure, little things break from time to time and the bills can get chunky, but it makes me laugh out loud every time I put the foot down and hear that growl.

I intend to hang on to it for good - though I'm already thinking about what I might eventually buy to go with it - maybe a 3L 75 if and when I can find a good one and the war office has settled down! I might have to spend quite a lot on home improvement first ...

Poohbah 
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Mr156_2.0

I'm I'm the same situation. Mine just received a donor 2.0 twin spark motor. I replaced shocks, upper control arms and the list goes on. The wife said to me that there are other bills to pay besides parts.
Didn't have the heart to tell her I still need to gas the air conditioner and 2 new tyres and wheel alignment. I think I might just do it and wait for the aftermath. God bless her she not only stood through it all she even named my 156. But she has to draw a line in the sand when I'm buying bilstein shocks and don't buy a new dress from cue for her........what ever a cue is?