Tow vehicle

Started by alfa duk, March 14, 2013, 02:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Pearce

Interesting topic and one that people make mistakes on regulaly whether it be towing a race car or a caravan for the family holiday.
It seems to me that the key to the descission here is the daily drive v/s towing percentage.
If you are talking towing maybe 6 or 12 days per year against daily drive of say 240 days per year I know which way I would be leaning.
Some slight inconvienience going up a hill in a head wind 6 days a year v/s driving most of the 4x4 heaps mentioned above every day of the week does not seem like fun to me.
Since this is a Alfa Forum and concidering a lot of us tow our race cars, a 2 litre Japanese car or Evan's diesel Alfa 159 would be perfectly adequate to tow occassionally and a lot more fun to drive during the week. My race car and trailer combination weighs in at less than 1300 kg and provided I carefully load the tow car and have working brakes on the trailer the combo is a dream to drive, safe on the road and still returns better fuel economy than a '4bi'.
Or out of left field......if you have the parking space, buy a classic tow vehicle and stick it on club plates.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

alfa duk

As it was said in the earlier posts, i was going to get 1001 differing opinions and while all suggestions are plausible and could work some of the towing capacities are borderline and for that reason i wouldnt go there. All cars will pull but will they stop, especially in the wet. Another point that people overlook is the amount of additional weight they throw in like spare wheels, tools, jacks, stands and if you are like me, marquees and our clubshop. So when we have our 1000kg car, 600kg trailer and 200kgs of gear, throw in and extra person and their gear and it adds up.
A good point was made about packing car and trailer for balance as this has a huge effect on performance and safety and checkout the tow bar rating, a vehicle may have a 2 t rating but the tow bar is only 200kgs.
BTW, i took the ranger out today, I'm impressed.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Rigi

To come from another angle .. FBT .. if the vehicle is going to be through the business then a 'dual cab utility' will by my understanding, avoid the FBT whereas a 'station wagon' - including 4wd's such as Land Rover, Ranger, BMW, Prado, Kia, Landcruiser etc etc will be subject to same - guess the other consideration, other than space at home, is do you really want/need a 'tank' as an every day drive ... now that leaves the door open for another 'Effie' on Club plates and a GTA/GT to amble around town in  :)
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed