Twin Spark ticking noise in drive train, arghhh!

Started by Cool Jesus, March 29, 2013, 11:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

I've developed a ticking noise like a time bomb (how ominous), on my TS 916 Spider. Ive headlined the issue as a twin spark as I believe it may be generic to this configuration, or even front wheel drives all together.

I'm fairly certain this clock ticking noise is coming from the front passanger corner and is occuring whilst the car is moving, making itself pronounced enough to hear from 60kph onwards. Of course its very noticable when bouncing of barriers or passing other cars to my left. I'm pointing towards the drive train as it still ticks in neutral, braking makes no difference. I think it gets faster with speed, I've only managed runs between 60 and 80kph.
Checks made on front passanger side drive train;
Wheel bearings - good, no play
tyres - good, no stones, metals or foreign matter lodged in rubber
CV joints - good, no noise on turns, boots are good. There appeared to be some clean, clear oil on the inner CV, didnt appear to be thrown around though... see drive shaft inspection ...
Alfa wheel cap -  after market, little movement, not enough to cause the tick
Rims - no buckles, no foreign matter trapped in voids between rim and hub
Drive shaft gearbox side - it had a little lateral play which concerned me. If there was to be any play I would expect in and out, not sideways. I don't see this as being OK, am I right? All I could see in workshop manual and ePer for the drive shaft is the oil seals. I half expected some bearings?
I did notice in the work shop manual that the CV half shaft should have a damper affixed to it, mine doesn't, what do others have? Is this right?

So, my quandry is what the hell is this ticking noise?
and should the drive shaft have any play? and a damper on the half shaft?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Your output shaft may have come loose and or the bearing is worn out, that could be the ticking noise and the oil on  the drive shaft may mean that the output shaft is loose and the bearing issues are causing the shaft to flop around chopping out the oil seal, never done a twin spark gearbox, only Suds and 33's in my experience, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

Thanks Colin, so I'm right in assuming there should be no play on the output shaft from the diff? I assumed the play would cause sealing issues there.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS