BEWARE - KUMHO tyres sidewall problem

Started by kartone, June 23, 2013, 04:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

Purchased 4 Kumho Solus in July 2011 for my 1980 GTV; they currently have done approximately 6000 km.
Yesterday noticed all tires had developed either a bump or indentation on the sidewall, the defect more or less extends from the tread to the bead.
Did some research on the internet and over the last few years there have been various recalls overseas regarding the defect but could not find any recalls in Australia.
I have emailed Kumho Australia and waiting for a response.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

It sounds like the slack laws we have in Australia over safety recalls, it is an option in Australia, look at the latest Volkswagon - Audi - Skoda recall over their cars dramaticly slowing down, it took a drivers death in Melbourne on a freeway to get the recall going, tell us how you go with Kuhmo, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Quick update. Amazingly Kumho called this morning and scheduled an inspection of the tyres tomorrow morning at my work site.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Evan Bottcher

Thanks for the update - please do post any updates from the manufacturer/distributor.  I'd also suggest let them know that you've posted here, so they have an opportunity for reply if they want.  Another course of action is to ask the car club to write to the manufacturer on your behalf.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

kartone

At 7:45 an account manager  :o from Kumho viewed all tires concerned and stated that "that's the joint the strongest part of the tire, its normal and safe" ???
I indicated I had never seen such joints on other tires to which she replied I could have the tires inspected by a Kumho dealer  >:(
Talk about an ambiguous response. I will not let it go and will have the tires inspected at Kumho's expense  8)
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: colcol on June 23, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
It sounds like the slack laws we have in Australia over safety recalls, it is an option in Australia, look at the latest Volkswagon - Audi - Skoda recall over their cars dramaticly slowing down, it took a drivers death in Melbourne on a freeway to get the recall going, tell us how you go with Kuhmo, Colin.

But then again, I saw a driver interviewed on the TV saying her car stopped from 100 kmh in a couple of seconds, I can't do that in an emergency brake, so there's always exaggeration.  Although it is sad that one person has died, I can't understand how you get stranded on a freeway because the engine has cut out.  It's happened to me a few times (mainly driver error, cars need fuel apparently), always managed to get onto the hard shoulder without a problem.

Cheers
Stuart

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: kartone on June 25, 2013, 03:04:33 PM
At 7:45 an account manager  :o from Kumho viewed all tires concerned and stated that "that's the joint the strongest part of the tire, its normal and safe" ???
I indicated I had never seen such joints on other tires to which she replied I could have the tires inspected by a Kumho dealer  >:(
Talk about an ambiguous response. I will not let it go and will have the tires inspected at Kumho's expense  8)

About the answer I expected you'd get when I first read the thread...  And assuming you're talking about something that looks like the photo in http://www.agcoauto.com/odfaq/index.php?cat=2#a582 she's right.  Not normally very noticeable on low profile tyres (probably due to sidewall stiffness), but next time you wander through a carpark, have a look at the tyres on the 4wds (not BMWs with 18 inch wheels, things like Patrols with 16 inch wheels and 70 or above profile tyres).  You'll find quite a few show this sort of behaviour.  As long as the indentation is following a straight line from rim to tread, that would be considered quite normal.

Just for kicks, I wandered out and had a look at my 4wd (235/70-16 Michelins) - 3 of those have indents easily picked out, the spare actually has two close together that make it appear more like a bump.  The Firestones currently holding my Group S project up, have them - quite deep on one...

kartone

Jekyll & Hyde, yes that's exactly what my tires exhibit. It has been a while since I have had a car with standard profile tires and have forgotten that the bump / indentation at the splice point is the norm. Thanks for the info.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

My Bridgestones have never had bulges in the sidewall or gone out of balance, but i have had Dunlops that have bulges and go out of round and is impossible to drive over 80kms on the freeway, apart from the obvious danger, i wouldn't like to see the damage it would do to wheel bearings and suspension, when you have a bad tyre the only remedy is to fling it and buy some better quality tyres, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

Received more feedback from Kumho  ;D, will keep you updated.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

LukeC

There is a line between what is a consumer issue and a safety issue. Unfortunately, this is often not clearly defined or understood by the general public. The tyre or product should perform its advertised and intended use (under the intended conditions) for its expected life. A tyre/s that is out of round and causes steering issues under normal use (or is even really unsightly, such as bulges) is not a safety issue, but is a consumer issue. However, a tyre that suddenly delaminates and looses all pressure, therefore causing erratic behavior to a car that could cause the driver to loose complete control: susequently placing the occupants in a will or may cause injury situation does constitute a safety issue. The ACCC does have the power to mandate a recall under these situations (if it is proven that it is a systemic design or manufacturing fault). To my knowledge, the ACCC has never had to exercise its power to mandate a recall on a vehicle manufacturer.

The Volkwagen issue while is now an official recall (done voluntary by Volkswagen), is a complex one. The coroner has not passed down their findings, and as yet, no link can be attributed to the death of the young lady to a failure in the vehicle. However, there are/were some issues with these DSG equipped vehicles (new technology... read Sillyspeed gearboxes dropping their inards). Having a bit of inside knowledge on these matters, I can say that VAG takes these matters much more seriously and proactively than some other unmentionable importers (that I certainly could not mention here.....). Just remember the old saying about the press: never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Not wanting to belittle the concerns of owners of any car owner (consumer), but the big question is: Can the car be steered?, can the car be stopped? Is the car going to lock you inside and burst into flames? I.e. Can the car be manouvered into a safe position by the driver.... 
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

kartone

Remember Firestone and the delamination issue on SUV tyres ? Firestone went broke paying consumers with delaminating tyres due to insufficient tyre pressure and the NHTA mandated tyre pressure sensors.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

kartone

Kumho supplied 4 new tyres and Tyrepower exchanged them for $100; later I discovered that in the process they broke the indicator stalk >:(.
Viewed the interior of the old tyres and the bump/indent on the walls does match with the manufacturing splice, the new ones are exactly the same.
Asked Tyrepower why Kumho would agree to replace the tyres if the bump/indetation is a cosmetic not a structural issue,  "don't know"was the reply.
Conclusion: The tyres didn't have to be replaced :(, spent $100 dollars >:( and left with a broken indicator stalk >:(.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

Nate Dog

And got 4 brand new tryes in the process :)