The 156 has Relocated

Started by Bellbird, July 05, 2013, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellbird

Almost a year to the day, the 156 came into my life and revolutionised my life! 
It has now passed on :'(

No more basic questions on this forum or Alfestas, Auto Italias, Spettas, rallies, Sunday drives, tours and visits to committee meetings for the cosmos blue 156 (anyone remember the first post about its colour).  No, I didn't crash it btw.

It has been replaced!!!!!!!  Now got a brand spanker Giulietta multi air with the cool extras in -
Alfa Red ::). Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Hanslow

Congrats on your new purchase. Good to see Alfisti moving to the Giulietta experience.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

colcol

Hello Bellbird, i havn't seen a post of yours for a while, hope you keep us up to date on your new Guilietta, ripper car, the Multi air engine won world engine of the year in 2010 and the good news is that the Guilietta is an Italian car built in Italy, nothing else looks like a Guilietta, you cannot mistake it for anything else than an Alfa Romeo, enjoy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Congrats Bellbird,

Coincidentally, its about a year ago that I purchased my first Alfa - a cosmos blue 156 - and I'm lovin it!

All the best to you and the newest member of your family.

Poohbah
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Bellbird

Hey Col Col,  was just told today that I can't put snow chains on it!!!!!  Not that I want to just yet (am actually en route to the snow at the moment in the Getz because of that) Know anything about this?

The Getz is going too.  Giulietta will be the daily ;D

colcol

Don't know anything about the 'no snow chains' on the new Guilietta's, it could have something to do with the low profile tyres, not sure if the new entry level $25,000 Guilietta with steel wheels would be any different, if you find out why you can't fit snow chains, you may have get some second hand rims of another Alfa with the same pitch circle diameter wheel bolt pattern with the same offset with a higher profile tyre.
In Italy, it is about a ten minute drive to the snow, and cars like the good and departed 156 have ski ports in the back seat.
The only other alternative is to drive the Getz to the snow, not a bad idea, as putting snow chains on an Alfa horrfies me as they may come off and cause damage to the bodywork, not to mention having a four wheel drive slide into you in a car park on something equally damaging, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

Thanks for this Col.  I agree re being horrified re snow chains on Giulietta!  I think using the Getz all the time is the way to go! Daughter is now proud owner of it so she'll just have to lend it to me. 

Other option is to just park Giulie in Jindy and walk up the mountain!
::)

colcol

Hey Bellbird, would be interested to know why you can't fit snow chains to the new Guilietta's, i wonder if its because the profile of the tyres is too low and the chains rub on the rims or maybe there isn't enough clearance under the gaurds to not have the chains hitting the suspension parts, someone out there should know, keep the Getz, it is always good to have a spare car, just in case,.....i have owned Alfa Romeo's for 27 years, spare cars come in handy at times, Colin.

Neil Choi

Colin,

Both.  Low profile tyres and suspension clearance.

Not enough profile causes the chains rubs on the rims, ruining them, ask me how I know.  Lots of $$$ to fix up rims, especially that very expensive pearl finish.  And the low-ish suspension tends not permit the chain to fit under the guard and the lack of clearance then wrecks your guard causing more damage and off to the painter, ask me how I know.

Neil

ACE

Hey guys & gal,

What about these?

http://www.thule-snowchains.net/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?emulate=snowchains&query=7816&vptype=461687&brand=Thule&prodid=24095&Tyre=195/55-16

Good brand and it appears they are for mags on Bellbird's model - unless the Giulie is different in Europe ... ?

Ace

ACE

OK, just might be able to answer it m'self!

In Oz, the Giulie (non QV) comes standard with 225/45 R17 tyres.

Which is NOT the size quoted in the ad :-(

Anyone got a spare pair of little wheels and tyres for Bellbird?

colcol

It seems that the 17 inch wheels and 45 profile on the Guilietta tyres is a problem for the snow chains, so you would need a smaller rolling diameter rim such as 16 inch to give more clearance around the mudgaurds, but then that would most likely change the accuracy of the speedometer, and you would need a rim with the correct pitch circle diameter bolts and offset......the Getz is looking good, Colin.

Bellbird

The Getz is a no brainer now!  Put the annual parks pass on it and looking at the mud and slush around at the moment, ( and the loose stones on the way)no chance of Giulietta visiting this part of the world!