how hard can it be? bushes etc

Started by extraball, September 13, 2013, 08:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extraball

My 147 has developed squeaks, and metallic noises when I drive over bumps. Now, I have a trolley jack, car stands, know how to use spanners etc. I have limited car mechanical knowledge, but I can use the above tools, so would it be too big a challenge to do this work myself? Looking at buying some poly bush kits, and going for it, but I dont want to bite off more than I can chew. Advice?
Thanks

Davidm1600

Hi Extraball, while I would imagine anything is possible if you have the tools, space and time, I can't actually confirm how relatively straight forward this is to fix or not. On the other hand I am sure Uncle Col or someone else more experienced is likely to chip in with some practical advice.

What I can tell you though and it is only based on my experience with my 156 is that before you head out and start purchasing new poly bushes etc is perhaps to establish where exactly the problems lay.  Let me explain.

I too had both knocking/creaking/squeaking sounds in the front suspension, still have one more to fix yet.  But.  I have read about it elsewhere as being a typical problem with the 147/156 model in that these issues are quite common with age/distance on the clock.

Basically the upper and lower control arms and sway bar bushes wear and will result in the sorts of sounds/clunkiness etc you commented on. 

The solution is both relatively straight forward and not too expensive.  Replace the top and lower control arms (come as complete kits, drop links and the sway bar bushes, and as Col will tell you also replace the bolts.   

All of this stuff is available from places such as EB Spares and there is another UK website (can't think of its name at the moment).  It is cheaper than here, better quality than the EBay stuff and it is normally delivered in 3-5 days.

I did my top arms and put in new Bilstein B4s all around and the improvements were superb.  Next will be the lower front arms, drop links and sway bar bushes.  I only bought the rubber ones as I figured I didn't want my suspension that hard.  People talk about replacing the springs with the Eibach kit, coil overs etc and yes that will provide further improvements in handling, but at a cost to comfort.  It is all about choices and needs if you go down that road.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

extraball

the suspension is hard enough on these things, I just want it safe and non squeaky/squarky.

colcol

Try EB Spares or The Alfa Workshop in the UK, but don't forget Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick and Monza Motors in Bayswater, If its a knockin, then something is worn out, if its a squeakin, then something needs a shot of silicone spray, the squeakin goes away when it rains as the water lubricates the squeak.
Only use Genuine parts as they are the best quality and not too badly priced, if you replace the bushes in your existing arms then how are you going to replace the worn ball joint and the arms may be bent as well, easiest thing to do is to just get a new arm.
Replace all the pivot bolts as well as they wear along with the bushes, i measured my top arm bolts and they were defiantly worn out, if i would have put the old ones back, they would have knocked.
You usually get a choice of arms, 1.- Genuine Alfa Romeo, best quality, 2. - Made by the same maker [ eg TRW ] of the Genuine part, but with no Alfa Romeo logo, 3. - Generic replacement by Automotive parts maker, 4. - Parts sold on E-Bay, usually terrible quality, will start rattling in a few months, made to get a quick roadworthy.
The 147 156 suspensions start getting the rattles around 80,000 klms, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

extraball

thanks guys, not sure wether I will try to do the work myself

colcol

The trick is to knowing what is actually squeaking or rattling it could be in order
1. Top Control Arms.
2. Drop Links on the Anti Roll Bar.
3. Anti Roll Bar Bushes and Anti Roll Bar itself.
4. Bottom Control Arms.
5. Tie Rod Ends.
6. Rack and Pinion Assembly.
Take your pick!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

extraball

I can see that one of the bottom wishbone bushes is flogged, need to take the wheel off to check the rest.

colcol

You can get just normal rubber replacement bushes off ebay, but you need a press and tools to replace them and your ball joint will be wornout, i think that the general feeling among home mechanics and professional mechanics that its easier to replace the whole arm ,rather than replacing the worn parts, most other cars when the bushes are worn, the whole arm is replaced, it only older cars, [ 33's and Alfasuds ],  and mechanics, [ like me ], still replace the bushes, Colin.

extraball

thanks Col, I might just get a quote done then, as I dont own a press.