Car insurance

Started by GTVeloce, January 24, 2014, 09:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Just wanted to let people know I managed to bring my premium down (by $300!) just by changing my insurer. When I first insured the car after a rebuild I rang around most insurers I could to get an idea. Only one was willing to do an agreed value and choice of repairer (Shannons) so I went with them. At Spettacolo, a friend mentioned he was paying quite a bit less with Lumley's to insure roughly the same car.

Come renewal time I contacted Lumley's (who I hadn't called the first time) and I have managed to get the same level of coverage, same options, an excess that was half the Shannons price and $300 off the annual premium!

Whilst I can't comment on either for service once a claim has been made (and hopefully never will), and I can't say anything bad about Shannons, I certainly saved quite a lot by switching. As a bonus they are a Club sponsor!

pasey25

i also made the switch a couple of years back.

just be careful on the renewals. i thought they were being a bit greedy and called to tell them so. they dropped the price on one of the cars back.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Darryl

I've been using Lumleys for many years after a bad experience with the insurance co that used to be the underwriters for Shannons, but through a different broker (not that the broker was the problem). No experience with Shannons post their absorption into the Suncorp borg, beyond a comparison quote a couple of years ago that made me very happy to stay with Lumleys. Lumleys have been great, no hassles on anything (I've made a couple of claims over the decades). I'm going to have to change insurers only because they *will not* insure for under 25 driver (and I have offspring of driving age). It may well be to Shannons but if anyone has other options I'd be interested to hear.

kaleuclint

Policy is due.  I note Lumley is a club sponsor and is well regarded, so I give them a call (not sure if they insure current models anyway).

I make the call and they advise me that they don't deal direct and I need to seek out a broker.

How come nobody else seems to have encountered this?  Is there a preferred broker that people might want to recommend?
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Rok_Dr

Interesting....  I have used Lumleys for years and have always dealt directly with them.  Last contact was only 6 months or so ago getting a quote for a possible purchase.

They are part of the Wesfarmers insurance group which has just been sold to IAG (NRMA, RACV and CGU) so it will be interesting to see if there are any changes.

Cheers

Steve
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
1994 Jaguar XJ40 V12 "Lady Penelope"
2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"
2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"

Darryl

Quote from: kaleuclint on February 10, 2014, 04:18:43 PM
I make the call and they advise me that they don't deal direct and I need to seek out a broker.

I'm guessing you called the "wrong" Lumley's and its a case of left hand, right had, not connected at what is, in reality, Wesfarmers insurance... http://www.wesfarmersinsurance.com.au/our-brands

That page helpfully has links to the various parts of the octopus, but the one you want for classic car insurance is LSV, that would be *Lumley Special Vehicles* http://www.lsvinsurance.com.au - they do do modern classics (supposed to be 10yrs old + limited build) but have been known to have their arm twisted for a "stable". You can of course go through that well known broker, Coles, to get Wesfarmers car insurance for "normal" cars... Not sure how different the policy really is compared to LSV, at least as it relates to a newer car.

kaleuclint

Yes, you're right Darryl.  Just looked again at the Lumley's ad linked to the site, and remembered that I'd submitted an online request and they did indeed try to call me back.  Reckon I spoke to the wholesale division today and they had no idea.  I'll try again with LSV.
2011 159ti 1750TBi