Alfa etiquette

Started by poohbah, January 26, 2014, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

All,

I'm not being critical of Alfa's high saturation advertising, which seems to be quite successful judging by the number of Giuliettas and Mitos appearing on the roads. But has anyone noticed that many of the newcomers to the Alfa family don't seem to be aware of Alfa etiquette?

The number of times I've been tootling along in the 156 and given the Alfa salute/wave to an approaching new Giulietta or MiTo and haven't even had a nod of the head... c'mon you can't leave someone hanging like that!

Seems to me that Alfa dealers need to impart on their customers that they are doing more than just buying a car. Needs to be some sort of quiz, similar to that for new Aussie citizens, before the keys are handed over!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

kartone

...  gear change at above 4000RPM
... either on the accelerator or brake
... no coasting to a red light
... working the suspension in curves
... in other words driving with a mission ;D
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

extraball

I dont notice other alfa drivers looking at mine, let alone a wave, so maybe that was a 70's thing. Hey Charger!

Garibaldi

I think what we are seeing is a new breed of Alfa driver. All they really care about is that they have bought a really cool Italian car. They really don't know or care much about Alfa's history, the passion behind the badge nor do they have any particular sporting aspirations in terms of driving, it's just stylish transport for them.  ::)

colcol

No, its an older Alfa Romeo driver thing, some of the older Alfa drivers will wave back to you, the newer ones just give you a bewildered look, but keep up the good fight, the newer Alfa drivers will eventually get the message....always go out of my way to wave to the pretty ones in MiTo's and Guilietta's, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

prova

I'm with you Poobah...... such an empty feeling to acknowledge someone driving another Italian car and for them to leave you hanging cold like that! Good post - not sure how we change things.

I think when you have a history of driving these cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's then you are a true believer/follower/addict but just having cash and buying a flash new car....well you have no history!

poohbah

I think Alfa should sponsor kartone to give seminars to purchasers of new Alfas. That might get them into the swing of things, and start to acknowledge their fellow sufferers of alfaholicism.
            1981 GTV

ANT_GTV6

The new breed are also the same drivers who go to sell there car as an alpha romeo alas hopefully some will discover the history and convert

wantok

My dad is a long term Alfisti and if we are out with me driving he even waves at other Alfas!!!

I must admit though that a lot of the current model drivers just don't get it. (Though 159 drivers seem to be a bit more inclined to wave)

alfamisa

Quote from: prova on January 26, 2014, 09:11:57 PM
I'm with you Poobah...... such an empty feeling to acknowledge someone driving another Italian car and for them to leave you hanging cold like that! Good post - not sure how we change things.

I think when you have a history of driving these cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's then you are a true believer/follower/addict but just having cash and buying a flash new car....well you have no history!

I agree with the "hanging in the air" it works both ways though, like early model Alfa drivers that think like snobs..."oh it's a new Alfa, wave doesn't count ugh."

But with the second part, I guess the "history" includes the company going broke...several times. Because my fellow Alfa driver(s) it is those/us that have the cash to buy a new car that prevents that financial history...and keeps Alfa alive. So don't be too harsh.

PS Just think of it this way, it is the brand new Alfa buyers that financially help Alfa Romeo...it isn't the 2nd,3rd...upteen owner cars...hell they don't even use genuine Alfa replacement parts like filters etc. Lets face it how many of those self proclaimed Alfisti could afford to buy the new 4C, 8C or in the good old days brand new 105 GTAm, RZ/SZ, 8C 2300 etc etc
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

poohbah

A couple of very good points. Absolutely true that new Alfa buyers are whats needed to succeed financially.
I think we ought to heed col's point and just keep on waving, whether its an old or new Alfa. But I still like the idea of a quiz!
            1981 GTV

kaleuclint

Quote from: wantok on January 27, 2014, 10:01:34 AM
... 159 drivers seem to be a bit more inclined to wave

Naturally!  159 drivers are engaging people, respectful of tradition.  Even when others don't wave back.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Meng

i suspect in the not too distant future there will only be new alfa drivers owning alfas/buying the cars to keep the brand afloat...
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

poohbah

One thing I wonder with regards to the new generation of Alfa owners is the fact that the entry level MiTo now has the Twin Air 2 cylinder 0.9L engine. It might be a very sweet little power plant and all, but let's face it, itdoesn't exactly scream sporty or nod to Alfa's rich enthusiast heritage. No disrespect intended to twin-air buyers (yes I understand Alfa needs something with mass appeal), but do we really want Alfa to become known as the birthday gift of choice for 18 year old hairdressing trainees?

Plus, getting back on topic, I'm not sure how it might look (or be received) for a 45yo bloke like me to go waving at every sweet young thing behind the wheel of a Twin Air MiTo!

So, I just hope Alfa pulls its finger out and gets the new RWD 159 replacement sorted out and on the market quick smart, with full strength V6 and turbo petrol four-pot options, so there is a hairy chested new Alfa that also appeals to the rest of us no longer in our teens. I would feel quite comfortable waving at either of them - If things pan out financially, I may even consider buying one!
            1981 GTV

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: poohbah on January 27, 2014, 08:07:25 PM
One thing I wonder with regards to the new generation of Alfa owners is the fact that the entry level MiTo now has the Twin Air 2 cylinder 0.9L engine. It might be a very sweet little power plant and all, but let's face it, itdoesn't exactly scream sporty or nod to Alfa's rich enthusiast heritage. No disrespect intended to twin-air buyers (yes I understand Alfa needs something with mass appeal), but do we really want Alfa to become known as the birthday gift of choice for 18 year old hairdressing trainees?

Plus, getting back on topic, I'm not sure how it might look (or be received) for a 45yo bloke like me to go waving at every sweet young thing behind the wheel of a Twin Air MiTo!

So, I just hope Alfa pulls its finger out and gets the new RWD 159 replacement sorted out and on the market quick smart, with full strength V6 and turbo petrol four-pot options, so there is a hairy chested new Alfa that also appeals to the rest of us no longer in our teens. I would feel quite comfortable waving at either of them - If things pan out financially, I may even consider buying one!

I find your stereotypes of Mito drivers disturbing.  My 19YO daughter drives a 916 GTV (full hairdresser model), my second daughter might just get a Mito (cast off from her Dad).  They may be sweet young things, but neither will be trainee hairdressers.  Colin will still wave at them, but with his eyesight it could be me driving the car and he'd still think it was a sweet young thing.  Not every hairy chested male wants a big V6, sometimes it's nice to drive a small car, after all, that's what Alfa's heritage was built on?

Cheers
Stu