Alfa etiquette

Started by poohbah, January 26, 2014, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

I have always put a few car related stickers on my cars.  Alfa 156.net, Club Motori Italia, let alone 105 series, Giulia 50th celebration, AROCA and of course now I have the right car I was able to put on my Scuderia Non Originale and Squadra Patina stickers !!  ;D

Saw a guy in a black 159 sedan yesterday as was pulling in to the supermarket carpark in my 156 sportwagon, at least he and I waved.  So good to know there is still some Alfa loyalty out there.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Nate Dog

How far do we take this?
Do we become snobs in our own right? I mean, do we wave at people driving mito's? They're really just fiat 500's after all...

Last week a dude in a Ferrari F430 waved at me as i drove past. That was nice :)

poohbah

A guy in a Falcodore waved at me - only with one finger as I overtook him...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Davidm1600

Nate, mate, nothing wrong with a Fiat 500, they are a fun car to drive.  And as for the Abarth version well, from what a mate of mine who has one, he thinks it is the bees knees, and he is also a classic enthusiast proper, being infected previously with both the Alfa and Fiat virus's.  Still has a few classics in his garage.

Heh heh the one finger salute may I suggest Poohbah ?? !!   ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Nate Dog on January 30, 2014, 12:13:36 PM
How far do we take this?
Do we become snobs in our own right? I mean, do we wave at people driving mito's? They're really just fiat 500's after all...

Last week a dude in a Ferrari F430 waved at me as i drove past. That was nice :)

If it's got an Alfa badge on it, with the possible exception of an ARNA, wave at it.

Stu
105 GT Junior Twin Spark
156 GTA x 2
159 JTD SW
916 GTV
MITO QV
Oh , and a Disco

poohbah

Yep, I'm with you on that one Stu.

Unless we want Alfa to become a historical oddity, they need to survive to make the classics of the future (4C and 8C  are already assured classics, and I am really keen to see a new RWD sedan arrive). Which means they need to shift as many new units as possible, and grow the Alfa family. So I shall be waving away to all and sundry in Alfa transportation, though of course only in a polite fatherly way to young ladies like your daughters!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Nate Dog

Quote from: Davidm1600 on January 30, 2014, 04:58:32 PM
Nate, mate, nothing wrong with a Fiat 500, they are a fun car to drive.  And as for the Abarth version well, from what a mate of mine who has one, he thinks it is the bees knees, and he is also a classic enthusiast proper, being infected previously with both the Alfa and Fiat virus's.  Still has a few classics in his garage.

Heh heh the one finger salute may I suggest Poohbah ?? !!   ;D

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, i hired a Fiat 500 and drove it from Rome to Paris, over 7 days, lots of winding roads on the way, through various alpine roads, it was no Aston Martin DB5, didn't get any pussy, galore or otherwise, just 3 friends shoe horned into a Fiat 500. was an absolute giggle! I loved that car, but it had nothing on my 81' GTV. Getting that on an alpine road, now that would be an experience.
Anyway. If someone driving a falcadore flips you the bird, smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Beatle

I remember the same thing happened when the 156 was new....and the 159.   The initial burst of new-to-Alfas people who have no idea of anything other than their new car.  These people will mostly move onto another brand in two years.  Though we do occasionally 'catch' a keeper in the net.

And don't just blame the new crowd.  I've been ignored by plenty of drivers of older Alfas when out in the 90. ;)

I've Had Ferrari drivers wave, and I suspect they all began in an Alfa, or still own one.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd