possible purchase

Started by shay1000, May 03, 2014, 05:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shay1000

I have been offered a 2000 model twin spark spyder for $4500. Seems to be in generally good order, very clean, paint faded at rear. What should I be wary of? It has 250k on the odometer, but a full service history, apart from the faded paint it seems to present very well. I have yet to actually view the logbooks, and I do not know, as yet, if it is manual or electric roof.
Ducati 848 Evo
Ducati 1000 DS Multistrada
Bimota DB1
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1998 Alfa GTV Spider

colcol

Make sure it has a service history, and that it has had all the regular oil changes with the correct oil, the twin spark uses 10-40 fully synthetic, the timing belts have to be done every 3 years or 50,000 - 60,000 klms.
Have an Alfa Romeo service provider do a pre purchase check, don't use the NRMA, as they only know mainstream cars, you need someone who works on these all the time, to find the hidden skeletons.
It has done a lot of klms, the twin sparks will see 300,000klms when loooked after correctly, a good second hand engine can be had at any Alfa Romeo wrecker, the spyder had the under pinnings based on the 155 model, which wasn't sold here, but parts can still be purchased, but not as common as the 147 and 156 models, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shay1000

thanks for that. It uses the same oil as 2 of my motorcycles, so I have gallons of the stuff. I do not envisage logging too many kms per year, more something to use when it is too wet to ride, so, does the roof leak like a pommy soft top? My last Italian car (FIAT X1/9 Series 1) was quite water tight.
Ducati 848 Evo
Bimota DB1
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1998 Alfa GTV Spider

colcol

Fiat X19, one of the greatest cars i have ever driven, i can understand why people love these, drove the Fiat and then a Toyota MR2 and was underwhelmed, initially thought that the MR2 would be heaps better, but that was not the case, and it was 2 litre vs 1300, i was so suprised how good it was, but as for rust prevention....
Don't know anything about if the Spyder leaks, but have not heard its a problem, but go to a carwash and see how you go, and get it checked over, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shay1000

yes, the X1/9 was a great little car, in fact a bit of a giant killer if driven with spirit. sadly succumbed to the malady of rust, it just broke out, not over the total body, but about a half dozen places at once. I've put it on the market, someone might wish to save it, or as a complete car it would also serve for spares. When the timing belt was replaced the fellow I entrusted it to failed to replace the tensioner, which seized, causing a belt only 10K old to strip. Sometimes you are better off doing the job yourself. Oh well :( 
Ducati 848 Evo
Bimota DB1
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1998 Alfa GTV Spider

shay1000

for better or for worse I have bought the car, please refer to my plaintive cry for help in the "technical" section  :D
Ducati 848 Evo
Bimota DB1
Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1998 Alfa GTV Spider