On the radio...

Started by f1fascination, June 02, 2014, 09:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1fascination

Hi all, recently fitted up a beaut period AM radio to my '73, only to have some nasty engine noise coming through while she's running.
There is a suppressor fitted to the coil, but I don't know if it's still ok, and when I hit up the fella at Repco, he gave me a vacant look, as if I was speaking foreign language to him....
Is there anything additional to slap on the ignition system to try to reduce this buzz/whirr while the engine is running?
Cheers.
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

colcol

AM radio?, wouldn't it be better to listen to the engine rather than 80 year olds ringing up talkback stations complaining about 'the younger generation', try putting a suppresor on the alternator, and on the coil make sure the connectors are on properly and that its actually working, as they don't last forever, all modern cars have inbuilt noise suppresors, but the older cars that didn't have radio's, needed suppresors to be installed, talking about the AM radio, i think the correct term is 'wireless', Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

f1fascination

Ha ha, wireless indeed. We actually have a great AM station in Perth, 1080 6-IX, that plays plenty of great stuff from the 60's and 70's.
But if you like seniors jibber-jabbering about the young folk, there are plenty of other stations for that!
Cheers, I'll try a couple of new suppressors.

cjheath

Quote from: f1fascination on June 03, 2014, 09:37:16 AM
Cheers, I'll try a couple of new suppressors.

This is a really good excuse for buying high-performance leads. TopGun and others make inductive wire-core leads (a very fine metal spiral, low resistance) that last basically for ever. You get a better spark and better radio suppression than the crappy carbon-silicone leads that are otherwise ubiquitous. Totally worthwhile.

colcol

Try fitting suppresors first as its easy and relatively cheap, then if that doesn't work, try the different plug leads as recommended and see if that silences the pop and crackle on the 'wireless', Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Gary Pearce

Ideally you need to fit 3 suppressors, in the absence of the shielded leads.
One on the coil, one on the alternator and an in line type on the coil high tension lead mid way between the coil and the distributor.
For those reading with earlier cars equipped with a generator and a regulator, you need also a condenser type on the regulator too. All very inexpensive and should still be available at any reputable Auto Electrician.
Nothing like having an authentic radio in a authentic car........ And even produces authentic am sound.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

colcol

You can actually get off ebay, an old looking pushbutton AM 'wireless' that has AM-FM and CD, MP3 and USB connectors, thats all hidden, so it looks like a period 'wireless' with all the modern features, Colin.

f1fascination

Thanks for all the tips and info folks, I had a stab at the suppressors today, bought for less than 10 bucks from Jaycar, but made no difference. One on the coil, and one on the alternator. The old girls got brand new leads on her from Classic Alfa, but they aren't the big heavy duty one's, just standard red ones.
Quote from: Gary Pearce on June 03, 2014, 06:13:05 PM
Ideally you need to fit 3 suppressors, in the absence of the shielded leads.
One on the coil, one on the alternator and an in line type on the coil high tension lead mid way between the coil and the distributor. As for this...
For those reading with earlier cars equipped with a generator and a regulator, you need also a condenser type on the regulator too. All very inexpensive and should still be available at any reputable Auto Electrician.
Nothing like having an authentic radio in a authentic car........ And even produces authentic am sound.
How do go about obtaining an inline suppressor for the coil lead?
The static and noise seems to be consistent with RPM, and I've fitted up the suppressor between the alternator-to-battery lead and an earth on the alternator body itself, but that's made no difference either.

Gary Pearce

The coil lead suppressor is an in-line tube like unit with screw like threads in each end, that requires the coil lead to be cut and the two leads screwed in series with the suppressor. They are really effective.
I have one but dont wish to part with it. Im sure they are still around.
As a means to temporarily check the issue, fit one carbon type coil to the distributor lead (or a complete set of carbons) Good engine to body earth lead is imperative, and a perfect earth connection at the base of your aerial is also imperative.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe