156 jts battery power

Started by t-rev, June 06, 2014, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rev

Hi, this has happened a couple of times over the last month. After driving for around 25 min to work i went to restart to move but the battery power was down. After leaving it for about 10 mins it had some charge back!I hadn't driven it for a few days, but it initially started ok but at the end of the drive it was down on charge and then the charge was back later. Is this an alternator on the way out? Or are there issues with battery? There are no warning signals on the dash.

colcol

Sounds like your battery is on the way out, it could be dropping a cell, go to an Auto Electrician and have the battery load tested, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

t-rev

Thanks Col.What makes it strange though is that it has just gone back to normal! No power loss after a drive or low charge in morning start up.Could it be a bad connection somewhere?

colcol

I would still have it load tested by an Auto electrician, but if it is a non sealed type battery, grab yourself a hydrometer for the battery and check the specific gravity of the acid, if one is lower than the others, it could be a cell on the way out, but while you are at it give the battery terminals a good clean and a bit of grease on them to stop any further corosian, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

t-rev

I found the problem,on the battery the date says 2008!!!

colcol

What brand of battery is it?, i knew of a 147 owner who had a Supercharge battery last 10 years, my 156 JTS, which i have had since early 2009 has still got a Supercharge battery of unknown vintage, Colin.

t-rev

Ha ha,it's a supercharge! The green light is still showing.It hasn't had a low charge for about five days now.When the problems occurred there were gaps of 2 to 5 days when i hadn't driven it.