Expressions of interest for outback touring rally

Started by Stuart Thomson, June 12, 2014, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

As many of you know, myself, some other club members and a few mates have done the Shitbox Rally over the last few years.  This year, due to many factors, the only AROCA Vic member to do the rally was Dan Neumann in a Citroen of all things.

Although we love the idea of the SBR, we all were starting to get a bit jaded with the idea, you go to some fantastic places, but don't get to stop there much, which is a bit of a pity.

So...

We thought that a similar rally event could be fun, but we could take a bit longer, not have the restriction of the sub $1000 car (in fact a 4WD would be good) and go to some of the places that the SBR has visited (and some others), but stay a while and actually see what the GFA* has to offer.  I've roughed out an itinerary

Start   End   Distance   Est travel time   Notes
Melb   Morgan SA   792   8:49:00   ON stay
Morgan SA   Coober Pedy   824   8:46:00   ON Stay
Coober Pedy   Uluru   756   9:05:00   Might stay a few nights
Uluru   Coober Pedy   756   9:05:00   ON stay
Coober Pedy   Marree   374   7:04:00   Via Oodnadatta track, stay few nights
Marree   Innamincka   543   21:49:00   Via Strzlecki track not sure about time estimate (Av 25kmh)
Innamincka   Tibooburra   318   11:37:00   Via Strzlecki track, time estimate?
Tibooburra   Hay   733   10:44:00   Main Roads, via Wilcannia
Hay   Melb   419   5:08:00   Home for Lunch

I would like to gauge interest from Alfa Club members, if we can make it big enough we would like to approach businesses etc to sponsor the event and raise money for charity, the GI Cancer institute is a prime candidate, there may be a small entry fee which would be a donation to said charity as well.  Other than that we would run it as user pays, but might do something group-like for food.

Like I said, expressions of interest only, no binding contracts etc...

I will be also bringing along a telescope (or two) and a lot of camera gear, I'm planning on running a clinic or two on nightscape photography, maybe with a couple of other techniques as well, so if you're a photography nut, this would be a great way to visit some awesome places for landscape photography.

Cheers
Stuart

*GFA = Great F All

Brad M

I would be very interested.

It would be good to have a more relaxed drive/itenerary.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Neil Choi

I am keen.

Have 4WD.  Have spanner.

Depends on when.  But no big deal.  More depending on leave pass.

Prefer travel slowly and see stuff.

McAnnik

O.K. I'll be in that. But 4WD, what the hell for! Where's your adventuresome spirit.I suggest taking the equivilent of a SBR entrant and just taking it easy, no rush, plenty of time, pack your camping gear and enjoy. If you take a 4WD you are going to look like a bunch of psuedo off road wimps or worse, the roads out there are swarming with what are now known as "Grey Nomads" in their 4WD's.Do you really want to be tarred with that brush? Get real!........... I'll take my ancient 2WD rally car anywhere, it has stopped by the way a few times but in the end, it always got me home...........................

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Neil Choi on June 12, 2014, 06:54:12 PM
I am keen.

Have 1WD.  Am a spanner.

Depends on when.  But no big deal.  More depending on leave pass.

Prefer travel slowly and see stuff.

Fixed it for you...

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: McAnnik on June 12, 2014, 08:55:34 PM
   O.K. I'll be in that. But 4WD, what the hell for! Where's your adventuresome spirit.I suggest taking the equivilent of a SB entrant and just taking it easy, no rush, plenty of time, pack your camping gear and enjoy. If you take a 4WD you are going to look like a bunch of psuedo off road wimps or worse, the roads out there are swarming with what are now known as "Grey Nomads" in their 4WD's.Do you really want to be tarred with that brush? Get real!........... I'll take my ancient rally car anywhere, it has stopped by the way afew times but in the end, it always got me home...........................

Only reason is that I already own a Disco, and I want to take some serious gear with me.  Like a 14" telescope which is taller than my daughter, a 12" telescope on a robotic mount that packs into two 5 ft flight cases, three cameras each in their own Pelican case, a camera dolly system on a 6 foot rail, two tilt/pan motorised heads (more Pelican cases).  Oh and some camping stuff and some food and beer.  Need something large for all that!

Cheers
Stuart

aggie57

Stuart / Neil - you have Discovery's.  Venturing much beyond Koo Wee Rup has been known to be challenging for them :) lol!

Seriously, sounds like a lot of fun.  My old neighbour took his 7-series BM up that way a few years back.  Almost survived and would have with a little more care.  Go for it!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

GTVeloce

If an Alfa 75 can survive India, Cambodia, Laos and the UAE it can survive Aus! I say take an Alfa(*) and enjoy yourselves.

The Perth to Paris 75 is now in Perth or I would love to take that. I would still be interested but will need to perhaps purchase another suitable car. Any excuse!

* Specifically a 75 TS... :-)

redsky

As long as we have tow hooks on the 75's we'll be fine.
That way we can pull the disco's through the rough stuff. ;)
Sounds like an interesting trip idea.

Alfa156Melb1

This sounds awesome - I'd be interested although I don't think my lowered JTS or GTA would ideal - I wouldn't want to embarres all you disco drivers.

So I have a Pajero that would love to be taken out on an adventure!