Drivers seat 156 JTS

Started by bloomers1176, July 17, 2014, 12:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloomers1176

Hellooo guys,

Why do I love the look of my saucy alfa? Now the bloody drivers seat only jacks up one side??

the handbrake side (RHD car) simply remains down? dark down there but it seems the saet sub frame is buggered. I see 4 alan key bolts but will the airbag connector be an issue if I whip out the seat for closer inspection?

All wisdom appreciated (again) :o)

Bloomers

2003 156 JTS manual 

Craig_m67

disconnect battery
wait a few minutes (people say 20?)

unplug airbag connector (yellow cables)
unplug any other gubbins (electric/heated seats etc.)
unscrew two philips head screws holding plastic cover on seat base (door side)
unbolt seat belt from seat
remove seat and fiddle.

I just threw two 156 front seats out - sorry  ???
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Its a problem with 147's as well, do as Craig says and pull out seat and have a look, might be something simple that can be fixed in 5 minutes.....or whole weekend, tell us how you makeout, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bloomers1176

cheers gents will have a go next set of days off.

Called a scrapy who was breaking one up, said will only sell as complete seat. makes sense. $245 didn't though. Wouldn't have been as bad if it was tan leather like mine but was black!

colcol

I would still pull it out and have a look at it, you can do a lot of fixing for what that wrecker wants for one and who is to say that it won't be broken as well, might be a loose bolt or clip fallen out, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bear157

I agree with Col, I would be looking first before spending that sort of $. It's amazing what you can fix or modify.

Let us know how you go whipping it out.

colcol

The 147 and 156 are serial offenders on seats failing to go up and down, according to the UK forums, the assembly that has the lever fails and has to be replaced at great expense,....however, if you are handy with tools and like a good challenge, this might be for you.
Just remember, there was a factory making these parts, and they are made up of parts that have to be assembled, so your job, if you accept it, is to pull apart and fix broken parts.
Old machines, vintage cars, etc, you cannot ring up and order a new part, so they are repaired, i saw someone quote the price of the new part is a few hundred dollars, so a few hours in the shed, will be time well spent, Colin.