Alfa 156 3.0 V6 - Project

Started by TheVsixer, July 25, 2014, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVsixer

So, after 6 years of owning my V6 my dream comes true. I bought the 3.0 V6 from Alfa 166. I decided to share photos and information from the procedures which I'm going to do.

Currently I have disassembled heads, valves, valve springs, hydraulic tappets (many of them was jammed, so I restored them.) then I have completely disassembled intake, timing belt and other accessories.

I'm planning to make some changes in engine wiring (just optical. It's CF2 and I don't like the way how the injector wires are placed.)

So, here is the first part of photos:

Disassembling intake parts:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V, BluCosmo, 18" Mille Miglia, XYZ Supersport Coilovers, Tarox G88 front discs, AMA Exhaust Systems Tail Section

TheVsixer

I tried to put the 3.0 intake runners on 2.5 engine. The car is a little more powerful at the higher rpms.

Here is the comparison of intake runners from 2.5 and 3.0:

2.5 has 38mm runners and 3.0 has 45mm runner

2.5 bottom side of the plate:

3.0 bottom side of the plate:

2.5 upper side

3.0 upper side

After i disassembled the 2.5 intake i spotted this little failure :/

This may caused that strange noise I heard...
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V, BluCosmo, 18" Mille Miglia, XYZ Supersport Coilovers, Tarox G88 front discs, AMA Exhaust Systems Tail Section

TheVsixer

Disassembling and cleaning the heads

The valve leakage testing:

Nice and clean :)

Darryl

Interesting info on the differences (and similarities between the late 2.5 and 3.0) thanks for posting. Sorry about the slow reply - not sure how I missed this earlier.

TheVsixer

:) I'll keep sharing the photos and information. For now is the progress paused. I'm still waiting for the second head gasket and also I was on holidays so I spent a lots of money. Travelling with the V6 is not  cheapest here, but I love it :) Definitely it's worth the money :)

The last thing I did with the engine before I went to the holidays was cleaning of the block and assembling of the all components of heads.

Before

After