Re-torquing head nuts - TS

Started by GTVeloce, October 22, 2014, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I have two problems with my engine. Firstly, a very small amount of oil leaks from the head gasket. Secondly, I am getting a very small amount of oil (I think it is oil) in my coolant reservoir. The engine is in otherwise very good condition. Develops full power, is smooth and does not smoke at all.

I am thinking of re-torquing the head nuts to see if it helps alleviate the issues. I am not planning on loosening them - merely re-applying the hot torque figure onto a hot engine.

Thoughts? If the nuts are still at the correct torque figure, should I give them a little bit more? How much more?

Thanks

colcol

When i retorque the cylinder head bolts on the 33, which i know is different to a TS, but same principal, the torque setting is say 65 pounds, i go slightly anti clockwise, so that i can see the fastener move, then tighten to the specified torque, and you want to see the fastener move clockwise and the torque wrench go 'click'.
If you just go round and tighten them all up to say 65 pounds and they have tightened up to say 80 pounds, you won't have the correct setting, you want to get all the fasteners to the same setting, so the cylinder head is clamped equally.
Fasteners can stretch and also bite into cylinder heads, so over the years they can move a bit, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]