Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Retro-fit Parking Sensors

Started by ricardo, December 08, 2014, 09:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardo

Hello - I have read a number of posts concerning 'retro-fitting' front & rear parking sensors to an
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Progression 2012-2014 - but none quite give a difinitive answer to my concerns. So, any help would be appreciated. I only require a sensor that gives off an audible sound
(1) Is there a genuine Alfa Romeo parking sensor made for retro-fitting?
(2) The 'rear' sensors can be easily obtained - but I would like those that best suit visually and ideally a brand or manufacturer's name
(3) The 'front' parking sensors are more of a problem since they require an internal toggle switch, or similar, that be located within arms reach of the driver. The sensor would require turning off when the car was parked/stationary. The aesthetics of such a switch is a concern.What I am hoping is that some member may have used or know of a switch or push button that is an Alfa Romeo accessory.
I wait in hope for any suggestions. Thank you

colcol

I cannot talk about Giulietta's, but i purchased a set off ebay for the 33 and 156, so here is my experience.
I don't have a visual indicator, as i was told quite rightly to look at where you are going and listen to the intensity of the beeps, don't look at a dashboard indicator, where you will miss something quite obvious you have just hit.
They come in prepainted colours, the red suits the 33 perfectly, but the silver is not quite right for the 156.
If its a problem, you could always get them painted to suit your car by a bodyshop.
They work really good, they are powered from the reversing light switch.
The wire come off the reversing light switch on the 33, [when i was changing the gearbox oil], and i couldn't hardly park my car!!!!
Buy them from a known retailer, with some sort of warranty.
From what i have seen, the front parking sensors are switched on by touching the brakes when going forward, i have never seen the front switch type.
If you intend towing a trailer [yeah right!] or put a bike rack on the car, have a on - off toggle switch, so when you go into reverse, the intense beeping from the object close to the sensor will drive you mad.
I have seen Genuine Alfa Romeo retro replacement sensors on ebay, talk to an Alfa Romeo dealer, they may have a kit that just plugs in, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Domenic

Give Rob @ Italian Automotive Spares a call.

He Fitted front parking sensors to his wife's QV when she first bought it in 2011.
If you were at Spettacolo the other weekend and you saw a white QV with front parking sensors.

ricardo

Hi, thanks one & all - much appreciated. Yes I to want to stay away from any visual indicator. Several questions for clarification.
(1) The rear sensors - is the audible sound adjustable - that from high to low?
(2) I do not want to use a switch for the front sensors but you would think they would have to be turned off manually.
I shall phone Italian Automotive Spares concerning the front sensors but do you know (out of interest) if I can avoid not using a switch - since I think one would look a little ugly located on or near the dash.
Thank you again.

colcol

The audio sound is fully adjustable for sound, mine is set for maximum sound, so the beeper is under the drivers seat, for lower sound, have the beeper located near the back seat and for those with good hearing, have the beeper in the hatch.
From what i know, [and that's not much!], the front sensors are switched on when you switch on the ignition switch and become active when the brakes are applied, say when going forward in a car park and they would start to beep when they get close to an object.
There may be front sensors that are switched on when you flick a switch, but that would be annoying.
The placement of the rear sensors is quite important, too low and they will beep like mad when backing down a hill, because they are picking up the road, place them too high and they won't pick objects down low, about knee height.
The placement depends on the bumper and where the metal frame passes through the bumper bar, as the sensors cannot be placed in the metal part of the bumper as they don't work properly surrounded by metal and you will have to cut holes in the metal, which causes the bumper to become weaker, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewR

As far as I know there is not an Alfa Romeo after market kit for the Giulietta range and you must remember that there is also a visual display as well which can't be activated by after market kits.
My 166 Ti has factory rear sensors and when reversing down my drive they bip all the way as they point to the ground, can't be adjusted.
2006-166 Ti

colcol

My 33 has an after market kit fitted, and it also beeps when reversing down a driveway, why?, because the sensors are too low and point towards the road, when they were installed, because it was the only part of the bumper that was flat or didn't have a metal reinforcer running through it.
If you install the sensors on a curved piece of the bumper, they look half installed and about to fall out.
Put them through a metal piece of reinforcement, and the sensors won't work properly in metal, and you have to somehow cut out the metal in the bumper, not to mention, weakening the bumper assembly.
The sensors work perfectly on the 156, as they point 90 degrees to the ground, and don't pick up the road when backing, and they are higher up than the 33.
It seems putting the sensors in the 156 bumper where Alfa Romeo had pre drilled holes there for obscure number plates, seemed to be the right spot, the pre drilled holes look like someone at the dealer had drilled holes in the wrong spot, but it was a bad call on Alfa Romeo's part, in my view anyway.
The back up sensors are a good thing, and in my opinion don't need a screen to tell you how far away you are from an object, just listen to the intensity of the beeps, Colin.