Crash tales

Started by poohbah, February 16, 2015, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Well what a day.

On Friday, I finally collected my precious 156 from the panel beater, less than a month after a joker T-boned me when he ran a red light.

Today, I took the family into Perth city in our trusty 2012 Subaru Forester to see The Giants on their last walk round the CBD.

I was travelling on the very same street as my prang a month ago, and was driving through an intersection after getting a green light on my approach, just as I had a month ago.

Wham. Just as it happened a month ago, another idiot decided red lights are only for other people to obey, and rammed her red Barina square into the side of the Subaru at speed. Yep, same street, same basic circumstances, and only about 250m from where the first prang occurred.

Her car may have been small, but it spun us around 180 degrees (and up a hill) at the same time as making us do a complete rollover, leaving the battered Subi sitting upright and facing the wrong way.

I have to take my hat off to Subaru. Despite the impact and force completely totalling both cars, me the missus and two kids were almost unharmed. (Though it took 10 hours at hospital for my son to get some minor cuts stitched up and the missus to be cleared of neck/spine injury). Never again will I complain about the how boring the Subaru is to drive.

As far as I am concerned, the might Forester is/was magnificent, and saved everything i hold dear from harm.

I now have no absolutely zero doubts at all about getting a replacement Subi when the insurers complete all the formalities.

As much as I love the  156, I'm so glad we got hit in the Subi and not the Alfa. I have no doubt the extra height and weight made a big difference to us staying safe.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

obersturm

Hi there,

sorry to hear that. But good to know you and your family were not to badly harmed.

What are the odds of the same thing happening at the same location? Is there something wrong with the timing of the traffic lights maybe?
I remember we had an intersection around where I work where the yellow phase was too short and lots of people had their red light fines and points revoked.

I hope the insurance doesn't give you any grieve and you had agreed value policy so you might end up ahead at least financially like I did last year when I wrote off my trusty Celica beacuse I had to swerve to avoid a druggy trying to play chicken with me on a 80km two lane road...

Thanks and best regards

Obersturm