Cambelt replacement on 2004 156 TI manual

Started by alfa 156 TI, June 01, 2008, 11:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Dave,

I'm actually not sure if there are any other suspension changes. I'll be seeing the original owner on the weekend, so i'll try to remember to ask him about it.

Cheers,

Brent

pep105

Brad
Sorry for the slow reply
From memory the 159 has cupholders, dont remember where they are as the last time I sat in one was at the 159/Brera launch at Lance Dixon in mid 06, however the 147 had them hidden, one in the dash in a pop out thingo and one under the centre armrest  - must admit the interior was very classy in the 147 ditto the 156.

Davo last time I went skiing here in Vic to falls creek was in a 156 Twinspark, we took the windy backroads instead of the boring Hume hwy. It was lots of fun if a little cramped (full car load + gear) and this car had Eibachs as well so the handling was improved but the ride deteriated on crap roads.

The standard suspension on 156/147 is too soft manly due to the factory shockers which are rubbish.They have poor rebound.  Replace with Bilsteins or Konis and the ride/handling improves greatly and works well when used in conjuction with the Eibachs or H&R lowered springs.

Brent - has your car got the std shocks, if not then try Bilsteins/Konis should improve the ride greatly, sampled a 156 with Bilsteins once and there was a noticeable difference

sorry for the long waffley post !
Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Davidm1600

Thanks Pep for the advice re fitting better shocks.  Given my experience to date with Konis in my 1750 GTV and 124 sport, that sounds like the way to go.  Bilsteins would be nice but are even more costly.  I know what you mean re the poor rebound on the standard 156 setup, hence my query about what to do.  I certainly don't want the ride to be too stiff.  I can always look at replacing the springs thereafter.

I am certainly looking forward to taking the sportwagon upto the snow but as it will be just myself and the wifey it shouldn't be cramped. We just now need another snow fall of about 20cm and ski season can start.

Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina