unplugging the computer, how is it done? on 2002 v6, pics to follow.. pic attach

Started by cc, May 05, 2015, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

guys
Am having trouble pulling the plugs on the  computer in the passengers footwall before the welding guy drops around to tack the radiator support back in place..
3 of the plugs each have a grey retaining stirrup.
Have been able to swing the stirrups partly out of the way (by pressing a small black plastic tang that holds the stirrup in position)
As the stirrup swings out the plug is lowered/levered out 4mm. Then it stops against something???

Have tried unbolting bracket with computer to get better access, hidden bolts stopping this!

Is holding up the project.
'for the want of a button the battle is being held up'

Craig_m67

I just completely disconnected (removed) the battery when I did mine. No issues.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cc

have already disconnected battery :)
Did you do any welding on the car?
Am trying to unplug the computer as advised to do this by an alfa mechanic.
Also tend to get happily lost in the datail..

Craig_m67

Yes. I mig welded on (a new) front cross rail. Exactly what you are doing. Although I used the drilled out the spot welds holes from the original, so there were no blobs. Came out quite nice.

I replaced mine when I was updating the front end after a miniscule bump (any excuse), they're ever so slightly different. If I did it again I wouldn't bother as the difference is miniscule and is hidden behind the bumper anywhoo.

I'll see if u can find a pic

Bit hard to see, but the those two uprights in the middle of the rail are different on the original front end (shorter?). In hindsight I should have just welded on the uprights instead of the whole rail but I was on a mission to make is seamless and factory. Probably shouldn't have told anybody though :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cc

have attached a pic of the plugs (pic on its side)with the stirrups swung into their unlock position.
In the end was unable to unplug the computer so welding was done with the battery disconnected for + and -.
Went ok.

Was hoping on a seperate issue of being able to unbolt the collision bar thing in front of the radiator as am planning on removing the engine. Looks like it means dropping the engine down and not out thru the radiator.

Have also added pics of the re attaching by mig welding of the drivers side radiator bracket cost $70 by a local mobile welder. Bumper now able to attach at all points.