Greasing control arms

Started by colcol, June 09, 2015, 09:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Hello all, i was looking at Alfa Romeo bits and pieces on the net, and i came across some top control arms for 147-156-GT series Alfa Romeo's with grease nipples from the manufacturer.
No reason was given for the grease nipples, but i would say to get rid of the front suspension squeeking.
Usually they just spray some silicone in .....or wait till it rains for the water to shoosh things down.
The control arms were made by Italian parts maker Vema.
I was wondering if anyone has ever used these control arms and if the greasing actually works.
When i was young and Dinosaurs walked the earth most cars had grease nipples on their front suspension, which seemed to atrack dirt and hasen the wear of the front suspension, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfapride

Hi col I think it works when I bought my 147 it had a knock and Te mechanic added a grease nipple and pumped grease through it and never squeaked since sounds like a good idea to me
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Domenic

Hey Col,

We got those upper arms with the grease nipples in stock.

The supplier advised us that they last longer due to the grease nipples, they are the only ones doing this and have them on other suspension arms as well, not just the 156/147 ones. Their theory behind is it that on each service, you apply some grease in there and the bushes last longer and don't wear out as quickly as we all know they do.
Vema have also gone to the extent of making upgraded sway bar links, which last longer as well.