Memory saver WARNING

Started by Sailor209, June 14, 2015, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor209

I needed to replace the clutch slave on my 100th Anniv GT which obviously involves pulling the battery.
Being ignorant of the ability of the cars system to store all the settings like radio codes and stations as well as Blue settings, I decided to use a memory saver plugged into the OBD11 port.
All went well until I started the car and had no radio, no ac and no power windows.
Reading around saw me do a canbus reset by pulling the negative from the battery...no fix.
Checked fuses and found F39 blown.
Replaced it and all is well.
Im thinking that the Alfa OBDii might be wired differently from the norm and this caused the fuse blow.
Or possibly when I opened the door the auto window drop saw overloaded the fuse though I doubt this.
Any insight appreciated though my mem saver will stay in the toolbox at Alfa time from now on.
2010 100th Anniv GT 3.2
2005 Mazda MX5 Cosworth supercharged

colcol

Your Radio will most likely store the preset radio stations, but will ask for a code to switch the radio on again, this will most likely be in your owners books or not.
Just disconnect the battery, when doing any electrical work, as you don't want any power going anywhere when removing leads, as they can drop down and short things out.
I have seen some memory savers plug into the cigarette lighters, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sailor209

The interesting thing is that the systems appear to have saved everything and once the fuse was replaced all systems worked correctly.
I did take the precaution of doing the power window reset just in case.
Even the ECU seems to have held its settings as the car behaved perfectly normally unlike many others that take a few km to reset idles etc after a long power down of the ecu.
2010 100th Anniv GT 3.2
2005 Mazda MX5 Cosworth supercharged

105gta

You're on the right track with the door opening!

With most modern cars not only does the window drop but also your fuel pump will prime, what ever type if body module will fire up, even the infotainment system will 'start' to fire up as well as about 20 other things so by the time you sit in the car most of the things you will want to use will be almost ready!
I usually expect to see anywhere upto a 30-40amp spike followed by 20-30 amps for a minute or 2 possibly 10
After which it takes anywhere upto 30mins for the car to go back to sleep if you lock it straight away!
The terminal 30 (constant power) in the obd is not meant for that kind of current draw.
Best to use the cig lighter or better yet jumper pack/small battery on the battery leads ;)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)