New radio system

Started by giovannidc, July 21, 2015, 11:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giovannidc

Hi, as you guys know the 147, pre-facelift, has got a very outdated radio that does not allow any exterior input.
I want to replace the stock unit with something that is compatible and does not cost much, as long as it has USB capabilities and AUX. No need for bluetooth, but if it's got it, why not.
Any suggestions? What are the chances of fitting any unit available on the market now with little effort, given that my housemate is an electrician and can give me a hand? Also, i'd love to retain the steering wheel controls, of course.
Thanks again.

poohbah

Easy peasy if you are just looking to fit something vanilla that doesn't need woofers, extra speakers, standalone amp etc.

I recently bought a new Pioneer head unit with aux/USB off the shelf for my Series 1 156, which slotted straight in and cost less than $100 (it was on sale for 50% off from JB Hi Fi from memory)

But - very important!! - make sure you disconnect the battery first before you pull out the old unit. I didn't and I shorted out the clock, the trip meter and the heater controls when one of the exposed wire ends touched the metal dash frame during removal!

You will also likely need a multi-pin adapter to plug the new head unit into the existing wiring loom. You can buy one from virtually any car-stereo place which should carry ready-made adapters for pretty much every sort of car/stereo out there, and they cost next to nothing.

Not sure if 147 removal is the same as for the 156, but I made a 'puller" from wire coat hanger - to insert into the removal slots on either side of the unit, and just eased out the old one.

Now I would add that I was only updating one aftermarket head unit with a newer version - the OEM stereo was long gone. But I can't imagine it should make any difference.

Ignoring the shorting I caused by not disconnecting the battery, the whole swap took less than 30 mins. Really should just be a case of plug and play.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Bit rich to call it outdated given the design was implemented over fifteen years ago :) If you don't want to replace it (I have) you can fit a blaupunkt Aux in plug to the CD changer input (blue connector block) creating an AUX line level in.

Search is your freind

That said, plenty of good head units around that will do what you want far better probably starting from a $1./
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

giovannidc

Thanks guys, i don't need much as i said.
What about steering wheel controls?

poohbah

I have no idea - my 156 didn't have any buttons on the steering wheel. But I would guess that they would still just be connected via the main multi-pin plug at the back of the head unit, so as long as you have the correct plug or adapter they should work.
            1981 GTV

giovannidc

Done!
The Sony that i bought had an adapter already and looking at the wiring and putting a bit of common sense in it i managed to make it work.
I just had to switch around RED and YELLOW, continuos and live power because they are inverted on the Alfa, but the installation manual was aware of that and it was not an issue.
The unit has got a port for plugging in the steering wheel control adapter and i would not mind getting one.

Which one is it?
It is not the BLUE one, which is for the CD changer, so i got YELLOW and GREEN left.
Any ideas?
Something like this, perhaps?
http://www.autoaudio.com.au/product_info.php?pName=sony-adaptor-cable-suits-control-harness-a&osCsid=22d7cb7c23f4042ef100c88c11f26455

poohbah

I would ask the folk at the car stereo store. As long as they know which head unit you have, they should be able to tell what goes where. Maybe take a pic of the leads from the steering wheel too, to help explain.
            1981 GTV