Best Oil

Started by smitti52, September 14, 2015, 08:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitti52

Hi Guys
156 JTS 145000 Klm's. What's the general consensus on the best suit able oil.
Cheers

colcol

I think this has been covered and argued about before.
Look on the radiator apron and it will tell you, the early JTS used 10 - 40, but was using too much oil, so Alfa Romeo changed the oil up to 10 - 60 fully synthetic.
The main thing is not to let it get below MIN and change it more regulary for city driving, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

So which brand of oil should he use Col? :)

colcol

You should use your favourite brand that is the right viscosity and suitability for your car, by reading the standards on the oil container.
And more importantly, what's on special at Repco, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Domenic

Hey Col,

I thought this would be the best oil for an Alfa.
It's actually got Alfa in it's name
http://shop.coles.com.au/online/vic-metro-coburg/alfa-one-oil-rice-bran

With a high smoke point it should last a while and not cook your engine.  :P

colcol

And as i leave work i could cook some chips and when i get home, they would be ready to eat.
I could also attach some meat to the exhaust manifold and depending on Melbourne traffic i could have rare [quick run], medium [normal run], well done [friday night] and cremated [any day before long weekend].
Seriously, i don't know enough about oils to recomend any brand, just make sure its the right specs and its not dirty and change the oil filter as well, Colin.

Potsie

Try not to use the oil this bloke used ...
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)