Possibly the very best car ever for reluctant sale!

Started by MarcusG, September 19, 2015, 01:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusG

Good day Sir/Madam

I would like to tell you about my Alfa 90 Super, it was built in the year 1986, and what a year it was.  Following a number of trouble free years in Space Exploration the Space Shuttle Challenger explodes shortly after take off watched by people live on TV around the world. The Internet Mail Access Protocol defined which opens the way for E-Mail and the same year the Human Genome Project is launched to understand the Human Makeup , this will open the way for great advances in the treatment of many illnesses. The worst ever Nuclear Disaster occurs as the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station Explodes causing the release of radioactive material across much of Europe. In the UK (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease is identified which causes many deaths over the next few years and a major reform in farming practices.

The average price of a home in Melbourne was $82,000.
A new Ferrari Testarossa was $90, 000
A loaf of bread was .54c
Milk was .63c
A stubby of beer at the pub was $2
Or you could have bought  the Alfa Romeo 90 Super for $30,500 with metallic paint.

Fast Forward to 2015....
Houses now $455,000
Testarossa $200,000
Bread $1.28
Milk $2.92
Beer $6
and the Alfa 90 ?????

The 90 was introduced to the world in 1984 and was built by Alfa as a car for the 90's executive, and what a car. Designed by a Mr Nuccio Bertone It came standard with electric everything, central locking,  it had fog lights, valour seats, alloy wheels,  air conditioning and a great stereo with quadraphonic sound to listen to "If You Leave" by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark followed by "Nikita"    Elton John and "The Sweetest Taboo" Sade. It even had a rear cigarette lighter for the executive that had made it and had James to drive them around, lucky James. The hight of luxury and style. There was a lot of work on rust prevention, a good thing looking at Alfas past efforts,  and new production methods used with light weight technology, as well as epoxy adhesives used to bond panels.

Inside it made you feel like a fighter pilot with its throttle like u shape hand brake and roof mounted switch gear and window controls. You could at the lights pretend you were cleared for take off by flicking some switches on the roof to bring the window up and lowering the hand brake while flooring the throttle to launch.

Of course it had the Busso V6 what an engine! What a sound. What power.

On top of that you could option a Valextra Suit case that fit into the dash. Very stylish for the modern business man on his way to Wall Street on his Motorola mobile telephone.

This car was optioned with a very rare metallic green and is the Super version with the unpretentious analogue dash, not the digital dash that no doubt fails as it was italian electrics at its best.
It has the subtler grey/brown interior than the dated blue one. Plus it has better gear ratios and revised very smart grill.

I have owned this car for the last thirteen years and really do not want to see it go. I love this car. I have done so much work to it over the years including installing a 3 litre motor.
It has just had new head gaskets and all belts replaced. Oil always changed at 5000k's. All electrics work and even the warning lights work, except on a bad day the brake warning light will sometimes come on as well as the coolant level light.

I have replace the heater core and heater tap a couple of time, what a delightful job that is and there is proper anti freeze in the cooling system now. This is to stop the a/c freezing and cracking the heater core. Which if it happens leaks over your left foot. Such fun.

It also has stiffer rear springs with Koni coil over shocks at the rear to facilitate towing with the very rare factory tow bar.  The boot has been reinforced as well.

It has also been treated to some newer Alfa 156 wheels which look great on the car. Such a handsome car it is too. It is delicately complex and understated in its style.

The 90 is such a obsequious car too. It wants to please you with the 3litre engine and that beautiful exhaust note from the stainless steel rear muffler. Oh and the boot space is big enough for your golf clubs if you are so inclined or all your custom monogramed Valextra luggage for that touring holiday to your summer residence or snow chalet.

The discerning buyer will see this as a faustian way to get into the classic alfa market for this cars value, as we can see from the way prices  above, must have no doubt risen over the last thirty years to somewhere in the vicinity of $60 - $90,000.

Obviously it will require some assiduous detailing to bring it back to its former glory. It will need some attention the paint and plastics. It is in reality a 30 year old car and has been used as a daily driver for some time. I do believe that the engine will need a tune as it seems to be running rich at lower revs and tends to fowl a plug every now and then.

I know it is incredulous that I am going to part with my beloved 90 but it is by no means a caprices decision.

I also have quite a large number of spares that could be made available for your perusal and some arrangement might be found to make them yours as well. The spare include front headlights which are as rare as to quote ―Joseph Joubert "To be capable of respect is, in these days, almost as rare as to be worthy of it."

If you are a purveyor of all things fine then it would be a capital idea to come and inspect this fine automobile. If you have never driven an Alfa V6 with rear wheel drive and such opulent luxury you have certainly lived a life of privation.

So as we can see the Alfa 90 Super is not only an investment it is something that can be enjoyed, like that case of 1959 Bollinger R.D. in your cellar.
Why not indulge yourself in some of Alfa finest work and add this Alfa 90 Super to your collection? You can have this exquisite motor car for the absolute preposterous bargain price circa $4500.

Please do your self a favour and send me a personal message to discuss this exciting opportunity.
1983 Alfetta Migliorata - 75 TS running gear
1986 90 Super - 3litre V6
1981 GTV - Sports Sedan Race Car
1964 Guila Ti Super Replica Race car - Building it
1975 Alfetta sedan series I - Restoring it
Alfa Sud Sprint x 2
1997 155 wide body TS - looking after it for my Sis