Oil/filter and disc rotor changes

Started by The Count, September 24, 2015, 08:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Count

I know this may have come up before but as a recent owner of a 1999 Spider Twin Spark 2.0  I want to do my own oil and filter changes so how often are they recommended? The car does regular commutes of 35km each way every weekday (much of it at over 80kph) and the engine has done just under 100,000km.
I would be using Castrol Edge Sport 10W/60 (or equivalent standard) for the changes unless the Selenie is the preferred oil. Am I looking at 5000km intervals or longer?
Also looking to replace the rear disc rotors and pads soon - is this a relatively easy DIY job? I know that the brake pistons need a special tool to wind them in before replacing pads (I have the tool) so are there any hints or tips for this job?
Thanks (in advance)

Cool Jesus

Every 20K kms or 12 months per service book.
If your a harsh driver or using it in hard terrain service interval is shorter. The 5K interval certainly doesn't hurt and keeps things clean in the donk for the sake of $80-$100 or so every 5K its cheap insurance. Oils ain't oils... wasn't that Castrol ad? There's always debate over which oil, just stick to the correct grade 10w-60 or 10w-40 and definately full synthetic. I use Penrite in mine and they run fine.
Brake service you speak off is a no brainer, especially since you have a wind back tool. Pads can be tricky to purchase as they changed shape around your build time frame. If possible take a pad with you. If your spider is the phase 1 version with the alloy rocker cover your pads are as per attached image, otherwise they're the more readily available TS pads used on 147s and 156s of that era.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mick A

Quote from: Cool Jesus on September 24, 2015, 09:22:35 AM
Every 20K kms or 12 months per service book.

10,000km or 6 months I would strongly advise.

The Count

Thanks people,

Will settle for more often (6 months) as the car does not get too many long runs.

I gather the sump plug on the Spider (and on all TwinSpark 2.0's) needs an 8mm hex key to remove. Is that correct? Also, does the Spider TwinSpark have a sump cover that needs to be removed for oil change?

Most "how to's on this as a DIY job say to jack up the front and use axle stands so, if I'm using a trolley jack, where can I safely place the trolley jack so that the stands can go under the regular jacking points?

Some confusion also over the Oil Filter for my 1999 spider. Some books say Ryco Z690, others say this is not a fit for the 99 Spider and others sugest the MANN Oil Filter W712/16. Who is right???

The Count

Success! (At least the oil and filter change)

Have successfully done my first oil and filter change and learned a couple of things which you all may know but will post anyway.

At first I thought I may have to jack the Spider up to get decent access for the sump plug and for the oil drain pan but in the end managed the change without jacking as I had a spare cat litter tray which has well over 5 litres capacity and which slides neatly under the sump. From then on, with a long arm with ratchet and 8mm hex plug it was easy to remove sump plug and drain the old oil. The filter presents no problem as it's located far enough forward to reach and even to use a filter wrench to loosen the old filter.

So.. that's done and next I will tackle the rear disc rotors and pads!