Catalytic Converter for 2002 156 2.0TS Selespeed

Started by addem, December 04, 2015, 08:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addem

Hey guys,

Just adding another thing to my list of chores to complete with this car. Recently it started getting a rattle from the main cat under the car so I'm assuming it's broken up the honeycomb inside and needs to be replaced.

Where in SA can you guys recommend me to get one? I've been reading about decats and contemplating this but would appreciate your thoughts. Worried it might have a negative impact on performance as it's not a turbo.

Thoughts guys?

Also will be changing the thermostat this weekend... Finally getting around to it haha.

Adam

colcol

Give Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick, Victoria a call or email, in South Australia, try Turin Imports or The Spare Place.
If you get a shock at the price of a new one, you may want to look at a second hand pair, try Milano Spares in Thomastown or Monza Motors in Bayswater, both in Victoria, don't know of any wreckers in South Australia, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

addem

Thanks for the info Colin. Sent The Spare Parts guys an email about it.

Is it worthwhile in the mean time taking the cat off and seeing if the bits will fall out to get rid of the rattle? Sounds so horrible lol

colcol

If it is rattling, then it is damaged inside, and it will just be a matter of time before you start to get error messages, due to a restriction, but if you source a replacement, when you remove them, give them a shake and see what falls out, tell us how you make out, i also have a JTS and am curious to see what happens, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

addem

So I replaced the thermostat but it was too hot this weekend to take the cat off and have a look. Will let you know when I get a chance to do it.

Adam