GTV wiring/relays advice

Started by poohbah, June 06, 2016, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

I guess the main thing I was trying to say is you can bypass a number of things and that will help but you wind up with a dog's breakfast and in the end something else will let you down anyway. My solution is a proper, permanent solution that actually keeps most of the wiring in original channels and designs, except where it was inherently wrong in the first place i.e. headlights, ignition and starter relays.

An example is the pic I have attached. The top cable is the new negative battery cable with a short fat cable direct to the chassis and another longer cable which just hooks onto another part of the body. Probably superfluous really. The middle cable was the engine to chassis cable and the lower cable has the passenger side junction box and the cables to the alternator. Feed to that junction box came from another junction box on the drivers side which was fed from the starter motor. These two junctions boxes were used to provide power to headlight relays, EMS, fuse box, starter and ignition relays.

If I was doing it all again (which I will have to at some point  :'( ) I would probably add a new relay to feed the engine fans but that is more because I hated hearing them click on and off in the cabin than any issues!

poohbah

Thansk Julian, very sage advice.

I hope the salvage effort is going okay, and that you find a replacement GTV soon. It is a real shame that your red beauty was totalled.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)