Opinions wanted please...

Started by cranberry, June 15, 2016, 10:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranberry

Hi folks, I need your opinions on the value of a 1977 Alfasud Ti. The car apparently has an immaculate body and interior but is not running. It has been sitting for 5 years and never started in that time. What sort of things do I need to factor in to getting it running again?

I'm thinking towing costs ($250), battery, timing belt, all fluids, brakes, drain fuel tank, change fuel lines, change tires (if they are flat spotted), plugs and points. Anything else?

Given all of the above, what would this car be worth as is?

colcol

As long as there is no rust in it, it should be ok, engine bits as you mention is easy, these cars are being snapped up by collectors overseas, unseen, except in pictures.
Its worth what anyone is willing to pay for it, they were all gone 20 years ago in Europe, due to dissolving when it rained,  like all Italian cars of that era, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

cranberry

So what do you think it might be worth? Do you think $2000 is too low ball?

jazig.k

Only worth what you'll be happy to pay for it.

Compare the market. If there isn't anything comparable, factor that in and ask yourself why you want the car. The experience? Or just a daily driver that you don't want to pour time/money into? If the difference of $1,000 makes or breaks it for you I think you should move on, particularly with a car that doesn't run or needs any work. Getting it running and roadworthy can run the cost of a car up pretty quickly, particularly if you're paying someone else...

I payed "high" for my 3lt ~10 years ago. It was the only one for sale at the time. I was daily driving it shortly without a problem, as was the intention. I had a few things to fix and few things go wrong with it but it's been enjoyable learning. Most of the problems have all been my own fault too, or basic wear and tear parts.
Would I pay a high price for the same car again if i was doing over? Yep. I have got years of enjoyment out of it and still plan to. Would buying the car for a $1,000 each way of what I payed changed my mind or experience that I've had? No.

poohbah

As suggested above, compare the market. I just saw an immaculate, running fully restored one selling for $12,500k, and a stripped down unregistered original with minor rust  for $2000 on car sales.

Why don't you test the seller by offering $2k - if that's what you think its worth to you?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-Alfasud-1982/SSE-AD-3898273/?Cr=1
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

cranberry

Thanks poohbah. $2000 was offered and rejected. Problem is, he won't tell me what he wants for it. Frustrating!!!

poohbah

Oh well, give it a few days - he may circle back to test your interest again if he doesn't get any other bites.
            1981 GTV

poohbah

1981 GTV

cranberry

Thanks poohbah. Yep saw that but it's not a Ti.

poohbah

I'll keep an eye out over this side of the country to see if anything comes up.
            1981 GTV

cranberry