WTB: Sud/ 33 Gearbox

Started by Sportscar Nut, July 22, 2008, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportscar Nut

Hi

On the look out for a good 1.5 Ti/ Twin Carb Sud or 33 gearbox. Would prefer a box from a 33 IE if any decent ones available. Happy to pay good $'s for the right gearbox.

Thanks
Paul

Jekyll and Hyde

Have you tried Monza Motors?

Sportscar Nut

Thanks for the reply.

Have tried Monza and all wreckers but only have secondhand boxes where the pans have not been taken off to confirm the condition of the synchros/ star gears/ gears etc. Wreckers only state that the gearboxes 'worked' when removed from car and provide 3 month warranties.

After a box where the internal condition is known before taking the risk with 'unknown' internals. Wanting to avoid a full rebuild but may have to repair my exisiting box.

Paul

Southern75

Honestly if you're happy with the ratios ... repair the one you have!
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

Sportscar Nut

Thanks Matthew.

I am thinking that is probably easiest to repair mine as I also have a spare gearbox but with teeth missing off the 2nd dog gear. However the later 33 gearboxes are stronger (eg much larger star gears) and hence better units. The idea was to use the 33 box internals and the Sud gearbox casing which allows for the mechanical speedo/ studs for inboard calipers.

Also the Twin Carby Sud and Series 3 Ti Suds had the tallest gearing of all Suds/ 33's with 5th gear being basically an overdrive. As I have an 8v 1.7 in the car, thought slightly shorter 3rd & 4th gears would provide better response.

Spent a fortune last year on a full engine rebuild so trying to keep the cost down (but have 105hp at the front wheels on Beninca dyno).

Happy Boxer motoring!

Paul

Sirius

I have a fully recon. 1200 Ti close ratio transaxle fitted with 4.11 LSD for sale if you are interested. Has not been fitted to car or driven since rebuild. Also have a fully recon. Alfa 33 transaxle with 4.11 diff ratio. Also has not yet been fitted since recon. Ciao

Sportscar Nut

Thanks for the offer of the gearboxes but will fit a reco 1.7 33 box into the Sud box casing.

regards
Paul