Repairing leaking power steering pipes 156 2002 2.5L V6

Started by cc, September 25, 2016, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Have attached in the photo section 3 pics...
These are the leaking pipes that may have oil contaminated the alternator causing the elec issues. Note the non standard? (can someone confirm) red flexible hose that has been put over the pipe. I think this was done by a previous owner when the pipes were damaged causing a leak. I subsequently grounded/banged the front of the car (the monza may sit a bit lower at the front due to the shorter eibach springs) a few times and another leak developed.
Am taking the pipes out and any leaks found to be silver soldered or brazed up. A dealers quote for new pipes was $250.
Im hopeing someone on the forum will confirm that the red hose is non standard.

Success. The red hose is a dodgy repair. Its replacing a section of the low pressure power steering cooling Aluminium (not steel) pipe that was cut out. Probably to remove a damaged section of the pipe.The pic labelled dodgy repair shows how much pipe was cut out..
There is another  similar repair on the high pressure side going under the engine.... They look like steel?
Ive heard that open heart surgery is a bit like being a plumber, working on the piping....
Working on this car feels complex! Wont be silver soldering this up!
Talking to a wrecker he advised that the pipes have a part no on them. No joy..
Will check back with him for compatibility using the ZAR number. Maybe i should go new...eper no 60661834
Aluminum fatigues v easily.. Alfa have gone to a lot of design to isolate them from vibration...
Then again the repair was at an attachment point.., so the pipe may have fatigued at that location. So replacing with another section of flexible hose may be the way to go...