Supercars 2017 - why not a Giulia?

Started by poohbah, October 09, 2016, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Now that the rules for the Supercars have changed for 2017-onwards to allow pretty much anything with max power up to 635BHP, RHD and global production of 5000, I reckon we should petition for a factory-backed Giulia QV entry. Or at least encourage some privateer to have a crack.

How good would that be? Maybe they could start off by just preparing an entry for the longer distance races - like Bathurst and Sandown?

And what better way to put Alfa back on the map locally? It would certainly increase its appeal to "blokes", as opposed to the more female-friendly "fashion" themed campaigns used for the Giulietta. 

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

poohbah

To kick things a long a bit, others have already pictured how it might look...

In Supercars, DTM and BTCC guise
            1981 GTV

julianB

Dreams... Very spectacular (and I agree, a well thought out idea)-
The DTM and Supercars rendition are drool worthy!

Breathing through the standard 34mm FIA turbo restrictors would possibly go some way to appeasing the locals.

Couldn't have another hairdryered car beating the local establishment at Bathurst, could we?
Oh wait, what local establishment?!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

vin sharp

You can't "just do Sandown & Bathurst" these days, you are contracted to compete an entire season, that is after you shell out 3.5 million for a current supercar franchise licence to even be allowed to compete in one of "their" events. So then there is the small question another 8 or so million to run the season.

Duk

It's a nice idea, but I doubt a Supercar version would ever come alive. The Australian market would be too small to justify the costs and what self respecting car manufacturer would actually want to go racing on a common chassis.

I rekon the best place for the Giulia would be in GT3. Except it has too many doors.
Maybe there could be a Giulia coupe with some extra beefed up bits and pieces to fix any short comings of the car for GT3 type racing.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

poohbah

My understanding was that the rules will be substantially different from 2017 to allow virtually any four seater available locally to compete? (as indicated by them dropping the abbreviation V8 from the title series, which is now just Virgin Supercars).

I believe any engine configuration within a defined power output will qualify, as long as it meets homologation requirements (5000 sold globally).

Which theoretically could see a return to the sort of touring car racing we had in the late 80s early 90s - with a mix of V8s, sixes and turbo 4s all qualifying. Back then it was Commodores, Sierras, Skylines, and M3s.

In which case would there be any reason (apart from cost) that we couldn't see Mustangs, whatever "fast 4 door" GM product is selling  here, plus Polestar Volvos, Skylines, Alfa Qvs, Audi RS7s, Jag XFs, Merc C63s etc? Though I imagine there would still be a couple of Aussie V8s on the grid for the next couple of years.
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on October 13, 2016, 02:48:27 PM

Which theoretically could see a return to the sort of touring car racing we had in the late 80s early 90s - with a mix of V8s, sixes and turbo 4s all qualifying. Back then it was Commodores, Sierras, Skylines, and M3s.

In which case would there be any reason (apart from cost) that we couldn't see Mustangs, whatever "fast 4 door" GM product is selling  here, plus Polestar Volvos, Skylines, Alfa Qvs, Audi RS7s, Jag XFs, Merc C63s etc? Though I imagine there would still be a couple of Aussie V8s on the grid for the next couple of years.

At least THIS time there won't be any complaint about "THAT BLOODY VOLVO" holding them up going over the mountain . . . .they'll be bloody lucky if they can keep up with it this time round.   ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au